Snapped intake manifold bolt.

KurtDog

Established Member
I finally got around to installing my boss302 intake manifold.

While torquing down the driver side front bolt it snapped off in the block. I pulled what was left of the bolt out of the manifold and put everything back together.

After installing the tune and starting the car it ran perfect and I could not hear any air being sucked in where the bolt snapped. I took it for a spin and had no issues.

Any suggestions on getting it out? My next step is to get some easy out bits, but if that doesn't work, what then? Would it be safe to use a time sert here?

Also, if anyone has the specs on this bolt I would appreciate it.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Have fun getting the bolt out. If its flush, don't even bother trying. Torque wrench is your friend, suggest you get one. I can't even count how many people have come to me to repair their cars with broken bolts, crossthreaded, missing bolts due to over torque or under torque

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The manual calls for something like 89 inch pounds. My torque wrench does not even go down that low. I tightened them by hand, carefully...with a small driver to ensure that I would not over-tighten them.

I am sorry this happened, man. I know this sucks.

Mike

WHITEMACH

Established Member
this isnt that bad . take off the intake,, tape up the head ports GOOD, then take one of the bolts to hardware store ,get 2 drill bits,one small another just slightly under the size of the bolt,a tap for the bolt size and a good center punch. (the tap should recomend the proper drill bit size on the side)
then center punch the bolt

then drill with the smallest bit
then the bigger
and finish with the tap!
it is fairly easy! also use some lube on the bits, take your time and its easy!! good luck!!

Last edited:

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Same thing happened to me! I read 89 ft lbs instead of inch lol! Mine came out pretty easy I got a little razor and spun it out with no problem took me about 2 min tops.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Im sure you didnt bottom the bolt out so it should come out easy. Take the intake off and see if you can spin it by hand, if not I bet a small hole and an easyout will remove it. Take Whitemachs advice and tape up those intake ports before you start. Good luck!

Pred_mech

Established Member
easyout X1000 over drilling and re-tapping. I did the same thing on my KB 03 Cobra, the manual had a misprint on torque values and I snapped one off using a torque wrench. A machine shop might also just send someone out to your house to fix it. More money but it beats you messing it up worse on accident.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
If you didn't cross thread it or bottom it out, it should just back out since there's no resistance. Did the same on an injector hold down bolt for a 5.9 cummins. After I freaked I took a small pic and spun it back out.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
You might have good luck with a pick catching the edge of the broken surface. Just spin it right out. Left handed drill bits work well too.

Do be more careful next time..

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I snapped one of my gt500 strut mount bolts. Dookie happens.

lol that sucks.

Dont over torque your stuff! I actually broke a MAF sensor bolt, tightening those little screws on my intercooler. lesson learned to not go ape shit on bolts

Last edited:

Krace

Established Member
I did the same as the op, all I did was take the other half of the bolt out of the intake and used that by hand to take out the half of the bolt stuck flush in the head. Also use a small punch at an angle to get it started, but I did not need to.
Then I wiggled out one of the bolts in the stock intake and used that as the replacement. Just guess and carefully do it by hand next time, if you don't have a tool can torque that light.

Last edited:

Radar Doc

Established Member
Some really good suggestions in this thread. If you have access to a dremel, you could also carefully cut a slot into what's left of the bolt and use a screwdriver to back it out.

I'll bet it's an easy fix once you get in there, since you're not really dealing with a corroded/rusty/seized bolt. Should spin out pretty easy.

preciousroy

Established Member
Heres one we use in the shop alot, usually for broken exhaust studs. Find a random nut that the opening is slightly larger than the width of the stud. Place the nut over the stud and mig weld in the hole and fill it up. The weld will not stick to or damage the aluminum. Then just turn out the stud with the nut.

ViciousJay

Established Member
The manual calls for something like 89 inch pounds. My torque wrench does not even go down that low. I tightened them by hand, carefully...with a small driver to ensure that I would not over-tighten them.

I am sorry this happened, man. I know this sucks.

Mike

AutoZone rents tools for free. they dont charge your card unless you never bring it back. just FYI :beer:

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
+1 for trying the pick to rotate it out in order to grab it. The fastener is no long loaded unless by friction at thread interface, so this should work. Then try reverse style bit like an easy out.

The hardest thing should be having to remove and reinstall the manifold and fuel rail.

Users who are viewing this thread