SN95 Ride Quality from 17" to 18" Wheel .. Anyone?

ceetwarrior

Established Member
I'm pondering about switching from 17" to 18" wheels on my g ride. But I dont want my g ride to effect my girls g spot if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the difference in quality on a SN95? Thanks!

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I switch from 255 x 17 and 275 x 17 to 18" with those same size....I really didn't notice any difference.

CzchMex

Established Member
I went from the stock 17 to 18. The ride quality has pros and cons. The 17s I felt less of the road. Bumps weren't that hard. Road cracks were barely there. With 18s I feel more of those road imperfections. But the higher speed drives are smoother. That could be because the extra rotational mass or just that my 17 tires were crap.

But all in all. If you are worried about the ladies...get a Lincoln. They drive as if they were on a cloud.

Oh and I went from 245/45/17 & 265/40/17 to 265/35/18 & 315/30/18

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
Not enough to make it worth keeping 17's.... 18's look better that's all the reason you need

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
i went from the stock 17 to 18. The ride quality has pros and cons. The 17s i felt less of the road. Bumps weren't that hard. Road cracks were barely there. With 18s i feel more of those road imperfections. But the higher speed drives are smoother. That could be because the extra rotational mass or just that my 17 tires were crap.

But all in all. If you are worried about the ladies...get a lincoln. They drive as if they were on a cloud.

x2

ceetwarrior

Established Member
I was joking about the lady thing. I'm more concerned about the ride than anyone haha. But thanks guys for the .02 .... considering, considering

TDUB003

Established Member
I went from the stock 17 to 18. The ride quality has pros and cons. The 17s I felt less of the road. Bumps weren't that hard. Road cracks were barely there. With 18s I feel more of those road imperfections. But the higher speed drives are smoother. That could be because the extra rotational mass or just that my 17 tires were crap.

But all in all. If you are worried about the ladies...get a Lincoln. They drive as if they were on a cloud.

Oh and I went from 245/45/17 & 265/40/17 to 265/35/18 & 315/30/18

Haha I've got a Lincoln LS that would change your mind on that one. I'd say it handles better than the Cobra in the corners (at the moment) due to the suspension but between the rims, lowering springs, and "euro" shocks from Ford it by no means handles like a cloud. Back to the topic at hand though, go with the 18s on the Cobra and don't look back, you will not regret it. :coolman:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I looked into 18s but damn, the tires are expensive on top of buying new rims

OP, where you at in CoS? I'm out in Falcon

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Mine had 18s when I bought it with eibach lowering springs and I just went down to 17s and didn't really notice a difference.

ceetwarrior

Established Member
TDUB, my mom has a Lincoln LS, V8. It's a pretty badass car, actually! I love cruisin' around in it.

76IHscout, I'm central springs. We'll have to meet up sometime, always cool to meet other Cobra owners. I'm just getting back into mustangs after a 2 year break... I'm actually goin out to Falcon today to work on a friends '93 Cobra.

I worry about the 18's on the roads around here. It seems Colorado worries more about daisy sniff parks than it does the roads to get to them. That and the tire cost. Also 315's are my fav on SN95's and so cheap with 17's.... I'm tossed

V8 rumble

Established Member
When I bought my car the previous owner already had 18s on it, and living in Ohio and sometimes driving in that state up north the roads haven't concerned me "too" much! :D From my experience and from what I've read elsewhere, 18s really shouldn't impact ride quality, so I'd say go for it if you can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread