Sn95 needs to lose some weight!

Bite u

Established Member
Ok fellas.. I have a 96 cobra which is pretty much stock, minus a front sway bar, bigs and littles, and upr upper n lowers. Plan on a upr tube k setup and coilovers up front once taxs come back. Is there a sticky weight lose thread, saying how much the stock seats weigh vs aftermarket, how much weight will the tube k shed? Car still has factory smog crap, I plan on deleting all that also. Contemplating swapping over to manual brakes and deleting power steering. But keeping the a/c. Can't live withou that here in south mississippi.

Thanks Richard

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
power seats should be around 60 pounds. rear seats should be around 50 total. corbeau seats are 25 pounds a piece so do the math on that savings! if you havent already take all the shit out of the trunk and put the battery there. k member is prob around 40-60 savings total but im just guessing on that one. and switching to a quality after market hood will also save 20+

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
^^I don't think the backseat weighs that much, maybe about 30lbs max. I just had to remove mine for some work I'm doing and it really isn't that heavy, now the front seats are a different story.

Remove the wishbone/nutsack looking damper under differential (7-8lbs-ish), aftermarket front seats like suggested above, tubular K, manual brakes, spare tire, jack, smog pump, mach 460 rear speaker deck w/amps, aluminum flywheel/driveshaft, do some self weight reduction if you're a big fella.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
^^I don't think the backseat weighs that much, maybe about 30lbs max. I just had to remove mine for some work I'm doing and it really isn't that heavy.

"94-04 Hardtop Rear seat delete kit
Direct Bolt in with Perfect Matching Carpet, saves up to 50lbs!! Can be used with or without factory headrest. Gives that true 2 seater look. Lower Section opens for storage below." -Modular Mustang Racing

and of course their delete kit has weight to it as oppose to just taking the seats out and having nothing there :shrug:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Umm I had a RSD, and then I put back in the rear seat.. I'm telling you, that ****ing thing is heavy as shit.. The brackets, belts, etc etc is well over 50lbs.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
Umm I had a RSD, and then I put back in the rear seat.. I'm telling you, that ****ing thing is heavy as shit.. The brackets, belts, etc etc is well over 50lbs.

yup
switching from the stock 4 seats to 2 race seats should be a savings of just under 150lbs!!! :rockon:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^ In and around there depending on the seat. I have to Cobra Daytona's in my car.. Unfortunatley my drivers side is still power. I'm trying to find a manual slider to drop more weight.. I'm looking at some Sparco Evo's next though. Bitches are light!

NC Mystic

Established Member
i have corbeaus in mine, but stuck with a broken power track under the driver. do passenger manual tracks work for the driver side? it's been a few years since i put mine in so i can't remember

does anyone happen to know if they made the 95 Cobra rear seat delete for sale to the public? that was probably the best looking delete i recall, aside from one custom set done by a guy here on the forum

Bite u

Established Member
I did some google searching on parts and stuff to remove.. And found a few different lists to go through..

I have the aluminum DS, took off sway, removed quad shocks, big and littles.. Haven't seen no weight on the rear axle. Trunk was previously gutted. And the bigs n littles. Trying to keep street car status, don't want an all out tin can drag car. Just trying to lose some weight and help this this 60' better, and get some transfer!

NC Mystic

Established Member
from sn95forums

Drivers seat Leather 48 lbs
Passenger seat Leather38lbs
Rear seat Leather top half 30lbs
Bottom Rear seat 15lbs
Sounds deadening (Remove w/Torch and Scraper) 45-50 Lbs
Door Panels 8Lbs Each
Extra metal out of front bumper (Center) 8Lbs (Kept most of it)
Front Sway Bar w/links 13.5Lbs
20Lbs going to front coild over setup.
20 Lbs going to lighter front seats with manual sliders.
CD Player Head Unit 5 Lbs
Rear End Dog bone 10 lbs
metal plate under steering column 3.5 Lbs
Wind shield washer tank 1.5Lbs Empty/8Lbs Full
Passenger side air bag 9Lbs
Drivers side air bag 3 Lbs
Air bag sensors and module 3Lbs
Hood latch w/cable etc 2-3Lbs
Cruise control (In Fender) w/cable 2-3Lbs
Glove Box 4lbs
Trunk Lining with spare tire cover 14Lbs
Spare tire 25 lbs
Jack and tire iron 8lbs
Smaller battery 10Lbs
Mach 460 Amp Rack 6Lbs
Mach 460 Speakers 2.25 Each
6 disk changer 2Lbs
Rear Seat belts 5 Lbs
Sun Visors with harness 2.5 Lbs
E-Brake Assembly w/cable 7.5 Lbs
Black boxes behind rear tires w/brackets 3Lbs
rille insert and Radiator cover 2 lbs.
Mott bar and bumpstop bracket 9 lbs.
Fog Lights and brackets 6 lbs.
Rear Bumper support brackets 6 lbs
Factory Spoiler 9 Lbs
Strut tower brace 8 lbs
Complete Front Bumper support 17 Lbs
Quad Shocks w/brackets 8Lbs
Rear Sway Bar 8.5Lbs
Convertible K-Member brace 17Lbs
Firewall blanket 15 lbs
Door Bars 8 lbs
Dead pedal 1 lb
Tailpipes 20 lbs
Evap Canister 5 Lbs
EGR and DPee 4 Lbs
Rear Bumper 25 Lbs
Convertible top pump/motor/cylinders 12 lbs
A/C Complete 30 Lbs
ABS Pump Delete 14 Lbs
99-04 Brake Calipers 10 Lbs Vs. 14 Lbs 94-98 style
wiper motor and linkage 6 lbs
Heater core/A/C box/ fan 19 lbs
Bumper suppor mounts w/wind deflectors 5.5 Lbs
Stock A-Arms 30 Lbs, Tubular A-Arms 15 Lbs
hydro-boost and master cylinder assembly 17lbs
Power steering pump 10 Lbs, Delete pulley 1.2 lbs
Power steering lines and Res 5.5 Lbs
lock mechanism,window motor,wiring harness 12 lbs
Gut underside of Trunk, Trunk will weight 20-25Lbs
ABS Delete Manifold 10Lbs
Few Lbs Misc Nuts/Bolts and Removed Metal.

maybe it is hiding from me but i am not seeing a weight for the rear package trey, would have to be a few lbs

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
If you want to go all out:

carbon fiber front and rear bumpers
carbon fiber hood
carbon fiber front fenders
carbon fiber door skins
carbon fiber trunk lid
carbon fiber dash replacement
carbon fiber interior door panels

You could also shave a few grams or pounds here and there switching bolts, nuts, clips, and fasteners to lighter materials (aluminum and titanium) and switching the leather shift boot for something lighter, like a woven fabric (cotton or something) switching to a lightweight shift knob (composite, carbon fiber) switching windows to plastic, deleting airbags... it all adds up.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
If you want to go all out:

carbon fiber front and rear bumpers
carbon fiber hood
carbon fiber front fenders
carbon fiber door skins
carbon fiber trunk lid
carbon fiber dash replacement
carbon fiber interior door panels

Only place that I know of that sold C.F front fenders was Tiger Racing for the SN95 cars.. they don't have a website and I don't think they sell them anymore. Unless I'm wrong, and if you have a link please post it up!!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It's listed on there site, but good luck with that. I've been talking with John regularly..

Users who are viewing this thread