SN95 Cobra vs MKIII Supra

mikeisgod

Established Member
My buddy has an '89 Supra he's working on and his goal is 750RWHP. He is running the M7-GTE engine. I'm looking at within the next couple months buying a 96-98 Cobra. I'm curious if any of you would know which car would win with similar numbers. He's doing a single large turbo. I'm planning on twin-turbo setup.. Alot of my buildup is going to be towards killing him... Any ideas or reccomendations? Is Twin-Turbo the way to go?

~thanks
MIG

audioqueso

Established Member
In the 1/4, you could build it up to beat him, but it will take a while and quite a bit. On the highway, don't count on it. A single turbo Supra is devastating on the highway.

simpsvt97

"SNAKE"
Established Member
agree...strip and street are 2 different things...you can build that Cobra up and get him in the 1/4 but like audio said....they are hell on the street

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
The older MK3 supras arent really as bad ass as the MK4 2JZ supras. I dont usually see modded ones around. I only once saw a turbo swapped one at the drag stip running mid 13s :shrug:

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
WhiteDevil said:
The older MK3 supras arent really as bad ass as the MK4 2JZ supras. I dont usually see modded ones around. I only once saw a turbo swapped one at the drag stip running mid 13s :shrug:

i agree with that 2jz = runn for the hills other than that......eh :sleeping:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Same hp 1/4th or roll you will win. Once he spools you will be cars in front of him. These races you see with supras making their 130 mph blow by pass is when they race cars with 250 + rwhp less than them. Equal horsepower on a v8 vs 6 banger is all v8 and if i'm not mistaken the weight difference isn't anything to drastic.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Acutally, one of the main reasons those cars, and ls1s do so well on the highway is because of their 6 speeds being much more flexible and race friendly in the 3rd and 4th gears. Get a T-56 (which won't be a bad idea with TT power anyway) and you'll definately get him with the right combo. With that being said, a 6 speed won't be the variable in the equation that gets you past him, higher power will.

I am pretty sure our cars weigh about the same as Supras so go for a bit more power and you won't have any problems. I would, however, tend to think the Supra may be more areodynamic than our cars so at a certain point, you will need more power than him to keep up or stay/get ahead. Don't ask me what mph that would be because I have no idea. I would tend to guess that cutting through the wind became a real factor in the 90-110mph range. Stick your hand out and see at what point it starts to get harder to hold it forward and that may be a bit of a clue. Again, save your flames beasue I said I really don't know, just guessing.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
SVTStrikesBack said:
Acutally, one of the main reasons those cars, and ls1s do so well on the highway is because of their 6 speeds being much more flexible and race friendly in the 3rd and 4th gears. Get a T-56 (which won't be a bad idea with TT power anyway) and you'll definately get him with the right combo. With that being said, a 6 speed won't be the variable in the equation that gets you past him, higher power will.

I am pretty sure our cars weigh about the same as Supras so go for a bit more power and you won't have any problems. I would, however, tend to think the Supra may be more areodynamic than our cars so at a certain point, you will need more power than him to keep up or stay/get ahead. Don't ask me what mph that would be because I have no idea. I would tend to guess that cutting through the wind became a real factor in the 90-110mph range. Stick your hand out and see at what point it starts to get harder to hold it forward and that may be a bit of a clue. Again, save your flames beasue I said I really don't know, just guessing.

Those MK3 supras have a 5speed and they are pigs somewhere around 3800lbs but they still have very nice top end power but are not quick at the drag strip....I have a buddy that has one thats built up, bigger turbo, exhaust, ported head, ETC, that completly kills me on the freeway but only runs 14.80s at like 108 (BTW we are at 5000+ft above sea level)

:pepper:

BTW A 7M-GTE making 750 horse is a major project....most MK3 guys go for a 1JZ or 2JZ swap at that point....

Last edited:

mikeisgod

Established Member
I asked him if he was doing a 1JZ swap, and he said that he's going with the 7M. He just referred me to 7mpower.com and told me it could be done. He's got several thousands of dollars worth of parts sitting in his garage.. waiting on a few more things and then he's starting. I am skeptical of him hitting 750... i'm thinking 600-650 is more practical for him on that engine.. but he claims he will hit 750 for sure under alot of boost... he will normally be pushing much less boost though.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
mikeisgod said:
I asked him if he was doing a 1JZ swap, and he said that he's going with the 7M. He just referred me to 7mpower.com and told me it could be done. He's got several thousands of dollars worth of parts sitting in his garage.. waiting on a few more things and then he's starting. I am skeptical of him hitting 750... i'm thinking 600-650 is more practical for him on that engine.. but he claims he will hit 750 for sure under alot of boost... he will normally be pushing much less boost though.

:beer: to your friend for sticking with a 7M, parts are getting hard to find on them and plus there mega $$$$, 750hp would make it one the most powerfull 7M's in the country....

Heheheh just look up Turbo Horse Power or HP turbos to give you some ideas on turbo setups

Good luck :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread