sn 95 wings/spoiler/ducktail

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
in case anyone interested, experimenting with a couple of different designs. will post pics if interest is there. wing/spoiler/ducktail will be out of abs plastic with aluminum mounting brackets to the factory holes. this may take awhile as my aluminum fab guy is really good, but sometimes busy to takes him abit to get something finished.

one is partially done in cardboard now. will have to get with my fab guy and see what he thinks about the brackets.

one will be this shape but but fasten to the lid like an s281 wing does

393044?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

the other will be be more like this, but again, fasten to the existing holes. both will be with brackets to mount the wing to the trunk with the brackets being as unobtrusive as possible.

980975_489543751153543_1286305241_o.jpg

trying to make something a bit more universal in nature so it would work on the sn95 and new edge. we shall see. my son has a new edge so can try on my car and his and see.

thinking a bit more angle up than the s281 wing, not straight up like a nascar-ish but more than the s281. these will feed off the back line of the fender rather than the lid so won't look so narrow. in addition, the other design flaws, in my opinion of course. is that when they make brackets, the wing sits on the bracket in such a way that it raises it significantly off of the deck lid. I plan to notch the bottom of the wing where the wing hits the bracket so that it is just off the trunk lid. being plastic, anyone could easily oval shape the mounting hole to adjust it down even more if they want it to touch. I don't want mine to touch, but barely not touch.

might even see what my fab guy says about hinging the bracket so the angle could be adjusted.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
in case anyone interested, experimenting with a couple of different designs. will post pics if interest is there. wing/spoiler/ducktail will be out of abs plastic with aluminum mounting brackets to the factory holes. this may take awhile as my aluminum fab guy is really good, but sometimes busy to takes him abit to get something finished.

one is partially done in cardboard now. will have to get with my fab guy and see what he thinks about the brackets.

one will be this shape but but fasten to the lid like an s281 wing does

View attachment 1485943

the other will be be more like this, but again, fasten to the existing holes. both will be with brackets to mount the wing to the trunk with the brackets being as unobtrusive as possible.

View attachment 1485944

trying to make something a bit more universal in nature so it would work on the sn95 and new edge. we shall see. my son has a new edge so can try on my car and his and see.

thinking a bit more angle up than the s281 wing, not straight up like a nascar-ish but more than the s281. these will feed off the back line of the fender rather than the lid so won't look so narrow. in addition, the other design flaws, in my opinion of course. is that when they make brackets, the wing sits on the bracket in such a way that it raises it significantly off of the deck lid. I plan to notch the bottom of the wing where the wing hits the bracket so that it is just off the trunk lid. being plastic, anyone could easily oval shape the mounting hole to adjust it down even more if they want it to touch. I don't want mine to touch, but barely not touch.

might even see what my fab guy says about hinging the bracket so the angle could be adjusted.

Here's the Griggs design.
http://www.griggsracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=426

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
spoke to the fab guy today and looks like my original design for the brackets will take him too long to fabricate and thus too expensive to make at this point. it will be a lot of work for him at his home shop since he is a fab guy but his job is fabricating stuff at his work, he does not custom fabricate things for sale or for the public. back to the drawing board for something a bit simpler to make.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
why would you want something that rice looking on the back of your Mustang?

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
new template delivered to fab guy today. hopefully, will have the beginning of the bracket within the next week to tweak.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
fab guy has made the first rendition of the brackets. messed with them and gave them back, hopefully for the final version. mocked up the two wings and have the straight across one done I think and if so, will have it reproduced in a thick abs plastic. the wing with the center cut out has taken more time. made up two so far and modified the second one to the point will mock up a third and hopefully, final version of that one. once I get the brackets back, will test fit my mock-up and then have both reproduced to the final product.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
fab guy has made the first rendition of the brackets. messed with them and gave them back, hopefully for the final version. mocked up the two wings and have the straight across one done I think and if so, will have it reproduced in a thick abs plastic. the wing with the center cut out has taken more time. made up two so far and modified the second one to the point will mock up a third and hopefully, final version of that one. once I get the brackets back, will test fit my mock-up and then have both reproduced to the final product.

I'd love to see some pics of the ABS plastic one, especially if the angle is adjustable. The rendering looks like too aggressive of an angle for my taste.
I figure just paint the underside of the spoiler, and the color will show through in the top, like an RC car body.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
the plastic is black. the angle, at this point is not adjustable, although my fab guy said he could make one. the angle will be approximately 30 degrees so it will have what I consider to be the "usual" kind of "slant" you would see on these cars.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
There is already a taller version of the S281, look up the Saleen T1 wing. I think Tiger Racing still makes them too. Contact on FB is the best way to get them but they aren't cheap... I think like $600 because they are made to order.

Users who are viewing this thread