smoking

viperr1

Established Member
Just changed my oil about 2 weeks ago and I've been noticing,what I think, is alot of white smoke coming out
of the exhaust. Bare in mind it's been in the 30's here
and I have 4000 miles on the car. Am I just to overly
concerned, or could there be a problem? How much white
smoke is normal? Should there be any? It's heavyist at start
up and idling there after. Then it'll taper off. When I go to
rev it a couple times a plume of white smoke come out.
What do you guys think?

2001 coupe
Kenny Brown Conv.

viperr1

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I had just switched to Mobil 1 5w-30. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Probly just condensation in your exhaust, which is nothing to worry about, but keep an eye on your coolant level just in case. Good Luck. :beer:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i would watch running 5-30, maybe i just had a bad engine, but i was using the mobil synthetic 5-30 from almost new, and I had two rod bearings go out, had to have the engine replaced....
Like I said, don't know if there is any connection there, but the Motorcraft 5-20 is a synthetic blend (you can buy it at AutoZone for 1.99 a quart i think), i think its more than adequate for normal purposes, it's all i've used on the new engine.

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA90GT
sounds like condensation to me as well....

I would have to agree as well. If your car has been sitting for a while more than likely it is due to condensation. Especially if you start up your car and only let it run for a few minutes and then turn it off. Do you have a lot of water coming out of your tailpipes when you rev the engine?

Vinnie T

Established Member
I'd start by determining if you are dealing with condesation and the resulting steam or actual smoke. The white color seems to say condensation. If it were a worst case scenario, white smoke can indicate coolant getting into the combustion chambers. If that were the case though, it wouldn't necessarliy go away like it does.

viperr1

Established Member
Gidieup, yes I do have water coming out my pipes when I rev the engine. The car will sit 2 to 3 weeks before I fire it up and let it warm up. That's all I can do right now with the weather like it is.

Quick01snake, I here you about the syn. oils. I've read some of the horror stories on the forums. But I've heard a lot of positive
also plus I use Mobil1 in my F-150 and have had no problems. But I will keep my eye on it. Again, thanks for your responses guys, it's helped alot. I was kind of worried.

Users who are viewing this thread