Smoking after rebuild

Nervouswreck

Established Member
After first start of rebuilt motor , heads , the works , I'm still getting a little smoke out of tailpipes . Didn't drive it yet just let it idle a few times . Maybe has a couple minutes of idle time on at the most but no drive time . I'm using break in oil as well .

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
You need to get it out and drive it to seat the rings. Hopefully you haven't let it idle for a very long. That's the worst thing you can do to a new engine.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Nervouswreck

Established Member
You need to get it out and drive it to seat the rings. Hopefully you haven't let it idle for a very long. That's the worst thing you can do to a new engine.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Just enough to get to temp and make sure no leaks . 2 to 3 min at most

Last edited:

Nervouswreck

Established Member
My idle time since first fire was only maybe a total of 4 min at most just to make sure no leaks and burp coolant

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Opinions needed : still in break in process of rebuilt motor done by EXTREMELY REPUTABLE mod motor builder that has done hundreds of these 03.04 mod motors and today and the other day I noticed a ticking noise coming from pass head , and also smokes a bit on start up but go's away . The smoke is light blue to white in color and smells like burnt oil . Seems like the longer it sits the worse it is . But like I said it clears up . Other then that it's very smooth . I'm only maybe 10 miles into break in time driving it like an old lady .

Head cooling mod
EGR delete
Catch can on both sides

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Per your other comment, if it only smokes on startup and has a tick it sounds like a top end issue. Did they go through the heads?

Why are you diving like a grandma? That's the worst way possible to seat rings.

Lastly, if you are worried you can always compression/leak down test

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Per your other comment, if it only smokes on startup and has a tick it sounds like a top end issue. Did they go through the heads?

Why are you diving like a grandma? That's the worst way possible to seat rings.

Lastly, if you are worried you can always compression/leak down test

Lemme rephrase the Grandma thing , I'm getting on hills and loading it down . But just not going into WOT till retune . And what do you mean go through heads ? He redid everything, oil pan to blower is refreshed and built

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You'd have to pull the valve cover to get to the rockers. Depending on the side that can easily be done in car or terrible and done in car. The smoke issue you'll have to identify. If it is seals/guides yes the heads have to come off to be fixed.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
You'd have to pull the valve cover to get to the rockers. Depending on the side that can easily be done in car or terrible and done in car. The smoke issue you'll have to identify. If it is seals/guides yes the heads have to come off to be fixed.

Nightmare , I know for a fact my tune is off from before I pulled the motor , plus since rebuild an reinstall I've got the blower ported , and did EGR delete , I think this may be throwing things off as well wouldn't you say

Coosawjack

Established Member
You need to get it on a dyno and tune it for your setup ASAP then drive it awhile to see what's what!!;)

BTW, why did you delete the EGR system??:confused:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
First off, your fresh engine should not smoke nor tick. The things you are mentioning are the things my engine was doing prior to rebuilding it. It would smoke on startup and had a tick that got quieter when warm. I would not attempt to tune your car until getting your engine builders opinion on the problems you are having.

I just started my rebuilt engine a month ago, and it purrs! No smoke or any type of noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Depending on ring gap smoke can happen. If they did not go through the heads or damaged the seals/guides the smoke can happen. A clogged or not pumping up lifter after a rebuild is very common and causes a tick from the upper end on whichever side the lifter is stuck on. The op needs to listen to the tick to find out if it's coming from the top end or bottom. He can also do compression/leak down test to check the rings/valves.

04turbomustang

Established Member
ticking from the top end on a fresh build can also be cause by loose spark plugs allowing a tiny bit of compression by (this will sound exactly like a collapsed/sticky lifter) and also leaking header/exhaust manifold can cause a tick noise. Sometimes these 2 things will go away when the engine warms up and the metal expands, but if bad enough can continue even when warm. Just and idea of something to check. Get a stethoscope and try to pinpoint the area the noise is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread