Smoke from valve cover breathers

Black Stang 97

Established Member
So recently I noticed smoke coming up from under the hood while I was at a street light. When I got home I opened the hood and noticed that there was smoke coming out from breathers on both sides. Another odd thing that I noticed was that I was getting a stronger oil scent while driving.

The car drives fine, no knocks or weird sounds. Oil dipstick and water reservoir is clean as normal. I added an oil separator to the passenger side valve cover and added a breather on the other end of the separator. After 2 or so drives, I found a little water and a milky substance in the separator. As you can see in the pic, there is slight water on the bottom of the separator.

It does not smoke at startup nor while driving under any type of load.

Car has a Vortech V2 running on 10lbs with aftercooler. Stock long block.

Does this mean a blown head gasket?

20141119_171723.jpg

I pulled the plugs and they look clean too:
20141108_115054.jpg

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I'd be interested to know the answer as well. But a compression and leakdown test, leakdown more especially, would tell you the answer to your question.

mustang3X

Established Member
I'd be interested to know the answer as well. But a compression and leakdown test, leakdown more especially, would tell you the answer to your question.

This.

Excessive crankcase pressure is likely worn rings so you'll want to get that checked pronto.

Black Stang 97

Established Member
I'll be doing a compression test within the next few days. What would cause the rings to go bad? Motor only has 76k miles, about 20k of them boosted.

If it was the rings alone, I wouldnt be getting water/moisture in the crank case would I? Perhaps its a combination of head gasket and rings?

Prototype007

Established Member
You shouldn't get moisture in if it's solely rings, but if gas is contaminating it then it will have a look to make a person think there's the possibility of water/coolant getting into the mix.

Does it smell of fuel?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you are only driving short trips it will cause that milky stuff in the separator and oil cap.

are the breathers oil saturated? I noticed my car started to smell worse as the filter got soaked with oil vapor over time (only the pass side is an issue on mine) and it smokes a bit idling. The car seems healthy though looking at logs and dyno numbers, it may be normal

Black Stang 97

Established Member
I smell fuel but its about the same that it has always been with an O/R midpipe. This smell now is a bit stronger/heavier more like oil.

I cleaned the breathers but am still getting like a spray/mist of oil on both my valve covers after just 1 drive. My drive to work is about 20 minutes each way and I drive the car about once a week.

Prototype007

Established Member
I smell fuel but its about the same that it has always been with an O/R midpipe. This smell now is a bit stronger/heavier more like oil.

I cleaned the breathers but am still getting like a spray/mist of oil on both my valve covers after just 1 drive. My drive to work is about 20 minutes each way and I drive the car about once a week.

What I meant was, does the breathers smell of fuel?

ancho

Established Member
I wonder if those plugs look a little too clean - which would suggest head gasket(s)... coolant in the combustion chamber steam-cleans the plugs.

Black Stang 97

Established Member
So I found my problem... I did the compression test and below were my results. Test was done on a cold engine, all plugs removed and WOT.

What I find odd is that I am not using up oil, no smoke from the tailpipe and spark plugs are clean. Wouldn't bad rings cause that?

Cyl1:
Dry: 126
Oil: 160

Cyl2:
Dry: 144
Oil: 165

Cyl3:
Dry: 144

Cyl4:
Dry: 145

Cyl5:

Cyl6:
Dry: 148
Oil: 165

Cyl7:
Dry: 90
Oil: 130

Cyl8:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Compression test really should be done hot.. But, yeah, looks like the rings are worn. Mine were shot at 83k after about 20k of boost too..

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
The milky look in the oil in the separator is normal. It's just frothed up along with some condensation. Definitely not a H/G issue.

Users who are viewing this thread