Smogging a modded Cobra in CA?

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
Does anyone have experience with this? I know it won't pass the visual but what about the sniffer test?

My car has all the typical bolt on's: intake, exhaust - including long tube headers w/ cats, stage 3 blower - including plenum and throttle body, mafia, 2.76 upper pulley and dyno tune.

Let me know your experiences......preferably in California. Thanks. :beer:

jrandy

Established Member
some places are obviously less strict with the visual. some places will either not care or are way to stupid to see the mods, and as long as it passes the sniffer they dont care.

the easiest way if you want a sure thing is to just pay someone. ;)

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
some places are obviously less strict with the visual. some places will either not care or are way to stupid to see the mods, and as long as it passes the sniffer they dont care.

the easiest way if you want a sure thing is to just pay someone. ;)

Thanks 2oo3gt. Sent you a PM. :beer:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Just go to a couple different ones. A lot don't really care as long as it sniffs clean. You will be amazed just how many there are that are like that

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
Does anyone have experience with this? I know it won't pass the visual but what about the sniffer test?

My car has all the typical bolt on's: intake, exhaust - including long tube headers w/ cats, stage 3 blower - including plenum and throttle body, mafia, 2.76 upper pulley and dyno tune.

Let me know your experiences......preferably in California. Thanks. :beer:

I was pretty close to failing the sniffer even with the stock cats. I suspect the tune has more of an effect than the mods.

If you are going to attempt it, load up your stock tune first.

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
I was pretty close to failing the sniffer even with the stock cats. I suspect the tune has more of an effect than the mods.

If you are going to attempt it, load up your stock tune first.

Thanks SciFiHiFi. I am in the same boat with the sniffer; I think it has something to do with the tune since my car is not radically modifed. Do you think it will be ok to run it with the stock tune and not harm the engine? :beer:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Thanks SciFiHiFi. I am in the same boat with the sniffer; I think it has something to do with the tune since my car is not radically modifed. Do you think it will be ok to run it with the stock tune and not harm the engine? :beer:

No. Do not do this. If your car is tuned correctly and you have cats you should pass. I passed just fine with an aftermarket tune

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
No. Do not do this. If your car is tuned correctly and you have cats you should pass. I passed just fine with an aftermarket tune

That's what I thought too. Rick from Amazon tuned the car and the tune is solid. With my mods it put down 517 to the wheels. The car also has random technology cats. The car only has 9000 miles so I do not know what is up with the high smog readings we were getting. :beer:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
That's what I thought too. Rick from Amazon tuned the car and the tune is solid. With my mods it put down 517 to the wheels. The car also has random technology cats. The car only has 9000 miles so I do not know what is up with the high smog readings we were getting. :beer:

WOW! VERY nice numbers. Rick tuned mine too. My friend just passed with longtubes, so you should be fine. He just walked into some random place. Just go in and don't say a word. They will tell you if they are not willing to do it, but I don't see you having to go to more than a couple places.

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
WOW! VERY nice numbers. Rick tuned mine too. My friend just passed with longtubes, so you should be fine. He just walked into some random place. Just go in and don't say a word. They will tell you if they are not willing to do it, but I don't see you having to go to more than a couple places.

Thanks suaveflooder. I have a place that will do it, even with the headers. The issue we had was when we ran a test to see what the emissions were the hydrocarbon readings we were getting were to high. I think the number was 140. At least the guy said they were too high.
I don't know what the limits for these vehicles are? :beer:

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
Does anyone know the smog emission limits for all the things that are tested during a smog test on a 2004 Cobra? These would be HC, CO, and NO readings. :beer:

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
Passing California Smog Tests

ASM:
ASM Pass/Fail
CO HC NO
15mph 25mph 15mph 25mph 15mph 25mph
1.66% 1.46% 204ppm 169ppm 1534ppm 1394ppm

ASM Gross Polluter
CO HC NO
15mph 25mph 15mph 25mph 15mph 25mph
3.16% 2.96% 394ppm 344ppm 2791ppm 2591ppm

Thanks Cobracide.....I looked on the net and couldn't find any specific numbers. Thanks for your time! :rockon:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
If you hydrocarbons were to high, you don't have enough cats. I agree with sleeperstatus. Pay someone. Usually will cost you a couple hundred dollars, but it's SO worth it when the other option is removing those headers!

KingCobra04

SVT Freak
Established Member
If you hydrocarbons were to high, you don't have enough cats. I agree with sleeperstatus. Pay someone. Usually will cost you a couple hundred dollars, but it's SO worth it when the other option is removing those headers!

Thanks man......that's what I will end up having to do. I am not going to remove the headers; they were a pita to install! :beer:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Thanks man......that's what I will end up having to do. I am not going to remove the headers; they were a pita to install! :beer:

We had to do the same thing for my friend's cobra. He had headers and a stock H wouldn't fix....think it cost him about $200 to get it "smogged" Good luck :beer:

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
I put on the stock mid pipe, stock air box, stock MAF and stock tune. Everything else remained the same. Passed no problems. I do not have headers though.

Users who are viewing this thread