Smog tune question

Dshavers

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Probably a dumb question, but is it possible for tuners to give you a "smog" tune even if you are running no cats? I'm running an offroad Xpipe and last time to pass smog, I had to removing my mid pipe,JLT, and load the new tune to get the monitors to show ready. I love the sound of the X but taking the car apart every 2 years is getting old. I'm running an Evolution (lund) tune, who I can only assume turns off the necessary sensors.

01yellercobra

Established Member
They can. But you need all systems need to be functioning. You can trick the rear O2's so they don't throw a code.

Dshavers

Established Member
They can. But you need all systems need to be functioning. You can trick the rear O2's so they don't throw a code.

Thanks everyone. I've sent off an email to Lund and Evo to see if it's possible with my pipe on. Worse case, I'll just have to reload the stock tune, and remove the pipe, and intake. Fun times.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i have a lund tune and went through this nightmare last year. was working with lund jr who sent me a few revised tunes. nothing worked. had to put stock cai and stock x pipe back on and reload stock tune.

evap and cat monitors would just not turn on. i believe the cat was caused by the high flow MRT H pipe im running. i put the stock X pipe back on and that finally turned on (cat monitor) (after resetting for the 100th time). evap still wouldnt turn on. lund jr said he switched stuff off, back on again. nothing worked. put 1000 miles on my car trying to get this stupid thing legit :nonono: took maybe an hour to put stock intake and X pipe back on. :bored: so next time im just doing the quick stock swap.

this makes me leary of upgrading to a tvs because you cant just swap blowers and injectors/etc... back.

oldmodman

Established Member
Steve, don't forget that quite a few blowers do have California EO numbers now. Back when I upgraded my blower the ONLY blower that met Ca Smog was the 2.3 Whipple. And only with the stock pulley, which is a snap to change. So all I have to do is reload the stock tune and it sails through SMOG.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Steve, don't forget that quite a few blowers do have California EO numbers now. Back when I upgraded my blower the ONLY blower that met Ca Smog was the 2.3 Whipple. And only with the stock pulley, which is a snap to change. So all I have to do is reload the stock tune and it sails through SMOG.

the only blower id be interested in using is a tvs. either ford racing version or a take off. so it looks factory. obviously has to be custom tuned which wont pass smog. putting stock tune back on might work but with having to change injectors and the intake i dont know how it would run with a stock tune. probably ok enough to get it to the smog shop and do the test and then limp it back home for the swap back lol

DropSVT

Established Member
*coughs* hot smog...
You drive a gt500 but wont pay 200ish to just get it smogged ? Being in Alameda gives you a crap ton of places near you to do it....

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
*coughs* hot smog...
You drive a gt500 but wont pay 200ish to just get it smogged ? Being in Alameda gives you a crap ton of places near you to do it....

Doesn't matter what you drive, paying an extra 150+ when you don't have to is wasteful. All depends on how you value your time.

Users who are viewing this thread