Smog Tip

Black306

Established Member
Last year I had an issue passing my 200k+ mile '92 Toyota truck. Thought I'd give splashing E85 in the tank a try. With no other changes, here were the results.

e85_results.jpg

This year, I needed to smog my 150k+ mile '01 Focus. I wasn't worried that it would fail, but I was curious what E85 would do. So here is last year's result and today's result. No other changes, other than a couple years of driving.

e85_results_2.jpg

Will this work for every failed smog case? Hell no! But if you're on the edge of passing, I'd say give it a shot.

svtaddict

Established Member
adding alcohol to your tank is an old trick just put a bottle in a tank so i can see how this would work i dont know how well cats would like it though

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
My Cobra just barely passed (this month) with a great RET tune and a Magnaflow catted X-pipe. Some E85 probably would've guaranteed an even greater victory. Thanks for the tip!

o5eRpeb.png

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Since it's generally the HC reading that trips us up the E-85 is a great idea.

I wonder how much straight alcohol would be needed to make a difference?

Black306

Established Member
Since I've started blending E85 a couple years ago, I have regularly run E85 in my Toyota and very often in my Focus (Focus is the wife's DD, so it only gets E85 when I fill it up). With ~1/3 of a tank, everything seems normal. Gas mileage does go down ~10% though. Drivability is unchanged.

When I upped the mix to ~1/2 tank, tip in throttle response and cold starts in cold mornings (~32 degrees) gets worse in the truck. And when I went up to ~3/4 tank, I tripped the check engine light for a lean code.

Users who are viewing this thread