Smog question for people in california!

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
I got a question for when i smog i have an slp lm1 cat back exhaust will that pass smog? Or should i swap the mufflers only and put my flows? Any input would b great gotta smog before 4-10-09. I gotta take off my o/r h pipes...

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
I've never once heard of a catback being the reason for failing a smog test. An aftermarket midpipe will get you failed at most test centers.

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
Yea that's what I taught... I'm just going to leave it on and put back my stock h pipe... That should do it.. Well I was going to smog it at s friends shop but just found out he closed it now he's going back to school now I gotta look for a new shop.. Anyone know of any in the sac area?

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
I went to this hole in the wall place in Elk Grove. I figured they would want the money so they would care more. I passed fine with tune, eaton, Mafia, stuff like that.

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
I've never once heard of a catback being the reason for failing a smog test. An aftermarket midpipe will get you failed at most test centers.

I wouldn't be surprised in California. My brother's Camaro almost failed visual inspection because of the air filter. It was a CARB approved K&N but the guys didn't want to pass it because there was no lid :shrug: Smog shops get nailed all the time for bs like that, so they get a little jumpy about making exceptions.

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
I went to this hole in the wall place in Elk Grove. I figured they would want the money so they would care more. I passed fine with tune, eaton, Mafia, stuff like that.

How much they charge? And does it matter if I live in a diff county? Also can u hook me up with their number?..
Thanks if u can I'm going to b looking around c if I can smog with. Out my cats lol

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
I don't know if you can get away with no cats, I think that is probably a must. I swapped mine back on. I went to courtesy smog. I don't know them or anything, they are just the ones that passed me when smog n go always hassled me.

2FST4GM

Established Member
I failed 3 times when I had MAC high-flow cats, so I just put on my stockers and passed with flying colors. It turns out that my high-flow cats were toast after only 4 years. My car was low and I had beat them up pretty badly over those 4 years. So after the test with the stock cats, I put on an off-road kit. Then I sold it before my 2 years were up for another test. If you're going to keep the car a long time, invest in the high-flow cats. They really don't cost you that much power and you won't have to swap them every 2 years at test time.

bmnofear1

Established Member
i had my 99 done about 7 months ago, the guy was a ford man and i sweet talked him a little and he passed it. he failed me for the filters on the valve cover the first time tho. as others have said, it all depends on where you take it. good luck

wma8706

Established Member
you should pass with just a catback and or midpipe with cats....just run your car hot enough before taking it in for inspection. I barley failed 2 times.... and ran the shit out of the car for 45+ minutes before passing. They did give me crap for the JLT CAI though. Sucks modding stangs legally here in Cali. No turbos, High boost superchargers, nitrous, off road exhaust, mid or longtube headers, HCI......etc.

redsvt99

Established Member
I had my 99 smog checked at a test only station today and sadly it didn't pass. It failed the NO reading at 15mph. Max is 437 and it measured 654. I hope it's not the catalytic converter.

Users who are viewing this thread