Smog pump holes in stock head ?

wheelhopper

Established Member
I just removed smog pump and all the tubing for it yesterday. The car still has the stock long block. The heads have holes in the back now that were once closed by the EGR tubing. Now they are basically an exhaust leak. Checking to see what others may have done to plug these holes.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Some people go the cheaper route and break the porcelin off a couple spark plugs and thread them in there. I used trcik flow thermactor plugs when i did my build. Little more expensive but these are what the plugs for and make for a clean job. Use some arp teflon sealant or at least some temp resistant sealer. Heres a link to the plugs.
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51400265 - Trick Flow® Small Block Ford Thermactor Plugs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

heres a pic of the plugs in the front of my heads. Same ones are installed in the rear smog holes. (thermactor holes)

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have seen those. Is it possible to install them while the motor is still in the car. there is only about 2.5" of room behind the thermactor hole. I had thought of making a block off plate out of some 3/16" plate and bolting them over the hole using the same bolt hole that held in the tubing.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
you should have plenty of clearance to get them in. As i remember, i dont think they are any longer than an inch or so. I wouldnt try a block off plate. I think there will be too much pressure and u will eventually develop an annoying leak.

greengt88

Established Member
you can also use the EGR tube that runs between the 2 heads, cut off the tubing part, flip the part where the bolt goes through around so the flat side sits on the hole in the back of the head, use Red hi-temp RTV and bolt them back on. Poor mans EGR delete. works great and is totally free.

Users who are viewing this thread