Smog Pump Delete worth it?

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Are these kits worth buying? UPR says it frees up about 6-8 hp @ the wheels. Any of you guys have it?

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I have it, didnt notice any difference. The car is getting dynoed again on monday (after longtube install and a/c and smog deletes) so we'll see what kinda numbers i put down. I just like the peace of mind of having less weight in the engine bay, an overall cleaner appearance, and it's one less thing thats gonna break in the future.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I deleted mine. No difference as far as power, but I think it was worth it just for the room I gained under the hood and the cleaner appearance. My smog pump made noises that sounded like an exhaust leak, too. I'm glad that's gone.

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Do you guys have any problems passing emissions without it? I've read the cats can become clogged up by capping off the air tube that is supposed to connect to the smog pump, but when I asked a local mustang shop around here about it, they told me that would only happen if the car was running very rich which mine isn't.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i got my car inspected a couple months ago and the guy didnt test it for emissions, but my car doesnt throw any codes so im sure it would pass emissions. If your worried about the cats just take them off.

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Ha, I had an offroad H on there but wanted cats so I dont get a headache every time I drive, sucks but unfortunately I must be sensitive to the fumes.

Dekorum

Established Member
How long does it take to remove all the smog pump stuff and install the delete yourself? How hard is it also?

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i had a shop do the work, im sure it didnt take very long because the shop only charged me $225 to install the longtubes and do the a/c and smog delete.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
it's actually pretty easy do...the hardest part your going to have is the steel tube that goes down to the cats...I just cut it off on my 5.0... it shouldn't take any longer than about an hour if you haven't done it before. Then again...I worked on my 5.0 a lot and could pull it down to the block in about an hour and a half....

jimmydigital00

Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:
Ha, I had an offroad H on there but wanted cats so I dont get a headache every time I drive, sucks but unfortunately I must be sensitive to the fumes.

Pypes sells mini cats that you could easily add to your offroad H Just cut the pipe about 8 inches or so and add the mini cats. The fumes will diminish but you will still have good flow.

Users who are viewing this thread