Smog Hell

SaleenSpeed

Stock Block Rockin
Established Member
Trying to get my 89 LX smogged in Cali, already failed once. The blamed my 'cams'. I have an e-303 cam installed and as far as I recall that's a smog legal cam, right? Isn't it stock on 93 cobras too? Anyway, I passed in everything except for one chemical's output during idle. It wasnt 02 I think it was called HFC. Anyway, does my cam really to blame? What the hell can I do to pass besides paying someone off?

sled

Established Member
it is a smog legal cam. i dont know what hfc's are but try changing you O2 senors, lowering fuel pressure, and back timing. then give it another shot. if it fails looking into cats and make sure you TPS is clean and EGR is all working right.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Also, make sure your car is nice and warm. Go drive it for a while before you test it and try an keep it running until it goes on the machine.

cgriff97cobra

I HATE DEER
Established Member
Glad Kerry didnt get elected he was pushing for a nationwide emmissions test!!! I dont know what i would i have done if he would have done that!!

Lee

Established Member
Richard, Just wait until "nationwide emissions testing" comes to your neck of the woods. I hope it never happends.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
If it does, I've got all the stuff to go back legal. Only thing not smog legal on my motor is the cam, and it's prob. mild enough to pass emissions.

Plus, I could really tweec the heck out of the tune to pass the emissions... :D

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
In DFW, they also have mobile emission testing. It is a white van that parks on the entrance ramp to a freeway and they have some kind of meters that test the air as you drive by and take a pic of your car. I've had to avoid them several times and jump back on the service road.

kcp203

Established Member
First, it is HC (hydrocarbons), not HFC (hydrofluorocarbons). HFC's are refridgerants like freon.

I assume that, being in Cali, you still have cats on the car. If they are the original ones, they could be shot.

However, high HC count is caused by unburned fuel in the exhaust stream. Since you have an emissions legal cam, this means that it can be fixed by a basic tune (assuming the cats are good).

It can be as simple as playing with timing, bad plugs, or a malfunctioning injector.

Depending on your abilities, it may be easier to take it to a mechanic with diagnostic equipment that can hook up directly to the 02 port while playing around.

In any case, the cam should be fine. Unfortunately, the people working at the test stations are morons who know NOTHING about CARS. They just know how to push the buttons on their machines. I think New Jersey sends all the people applying for unemployment to work at the test stations.

Here in Jersey, they also only let you come back once to retest if you try to fix an emissions failure yourself. After that you need to show a receipt from a certified emissions repair facility. :(

SaleenSpeed

Stock Block Rockin
Established Member
thanks, kcp203.
The cats and o2 sensors passed. I am putting new plugs in and adjusting with the timing. I am gonna get some fuel additive too. I've heard of some stuff that helps you pass emissions testing.

They also let you retest free out here, but this place didn't seem very good about trying to help my car pass. When the guy kept asking if my 'cams' were stock I figured he wasn't too keen on my vehicle. He also insisted that it wasnt smog legal (the cam) and even mentioned my 'non-stock headers'. I guess if they dont have a serial number or some crap they aren''t legal in their eyes even thoguh they are smog legal. Luckily I can leave the exhaust on and take it somewhere else. It's just lame how all of this is such a pain in the ass. I need to find a more honest mechanic/technician who will help me smog it.

I've go another quick question: what is required to pass smog in cali (or anywhere with stringent smog rules) in a turboed mustang? I would think that as long as I leave the EGR and cats, etc intact and it is still under the emissions level it would be legal. Does anyone know first hand?

kcp203

Established Member
I think to be totally legal in California, andy aftermarket parts have to be CARB approved and have the CARB approval number stamped on them. Someone in Cali can maybe confirm this.

Anywhere else, you are OK as long as the cats are on and you pass the test

Users who are viewing this thread