Smelly ear dog..Help...

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
I have a 6year yellow lab.His ears stink and I need help.I have taken him to the vet before and gave me cream that does not work.I treated his ears with vinigar and water,still no luck..I tried ear wipes ,still stink..I think it bothers him some.Any ideas?home remedies..I even changed his food thinking it could be allergies,still nothing.:shrug:

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
I have a smelly ear dog. The vet gave me mometamax and it did nothing for her. Now we are trying something with a z....zymax? One vet gave me a small tube of "Otibiotic Ointment" and that is the only thing that has worked for me so far. It is made by Butler.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Take your dog to a different vet. For the past 2 years my dog(at moms house) has had tumors aroud her chest. I pointed those out to the vet asking to check her out, he just said schnauzer (sp?) get growths like that as they get older nothing to worry about. Then her ears got cloged with some nasty stuff and all the vet did was give some type of cream. Didn't do a thing. My mom moved to kansas and took her to a new vet, and he pointed out the tumors, without being told. He also said he can do some type of surgery in her ears to stop that nasty crap (she is almost deaf because of this gunk). She goes into surgery tomorrow for all that good crap. I think she is 11yrs old.

innrkid

Established Member
clean them...deeply...with hydrogen peroxide twice a day for two weeks. Worked on our lab.

BTW...follow with weekly cleanings.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
subscribing............one of our 3 labs has on and off ear infections. a home remedy or over the counter treatment would be nice to know.

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
do you see anything in their ears like brown gunk? one of my beagles get ear mites really bad, we have some stuff that the vet gave us to clean her ears out. the stuff works pretty good, i will see what the name of it is when i get home.

2003 Silver

Banned
clean them...deeply...with hydrogen peroxide twice a day for two weeks. Worked on our lab.

+1 Yep...it's a nasty job and your dog won't like it but this is what we had to do with our Golden when she had ear issues. It's wax build up and/or an infection.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
We had a cocker when I was growing up and it always had stinky ears. That dog had never ending problems with ear mites and stinky ears. I don't know if there is a connection, but, the two were chronically together in our dog's case.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
when mine had some pretty nasty ears, they first gave me some drops then told me to attack the diet part. They say that tons of problems throughout a canine is caused by allergies. Low and behold, i focused on the diet and before i knew it, she was almost problem free. it was amazing!

01vert

Established Member
Dont dig too deep with anything, very dangerous and you tend to pack down the gunk that is there against the eardrum. Get some earwax softener / ear cleaner from a good vet and clean the ear by adding, gentle massage and then tipping the head and gently wiping shallowly the stuff that comes out. Repeat several times till ears are clean every day. Chances are ear mites? if visual or an infection. If you are not pleased with your vet, get another.

Whatever you do though, dont dig in his ears, it will make the problem worse in the long run by packing gunk back into the ear.

Lamb and rice dog food and see if it is dietary problems

Stavesacre21

Established Member
my vet recommended a diet of rabbit and potato food...which worked great, but the $50 for a 20lb bag DIDNT work so good for me. That dogs food was costing more per month then mine!

Unless you have the DEEP pockets, be weary of some of the heavy duty diets and try and locate your allergies. Through process of elemination, i found one of my dogs to be wheat...which is in almost every dog food. Blah.

lowdrag

Established Member
I've got a yellow lab as well and she has the same problem with her ears. If they smell and it is noticeable that they are bothering him, it is most likely an ear infection. Find a different vet. They should take a culture from the ear and check it. What they use to clear it up depends on the type of infection it is, bacteria, yeast, etc. If it's a yeast infection you need to treat it twice a day for at least two weeks to ensure that it's totally taken care of. Once it's cleared up they can give you some drops that are a pH balancer that you treat them with regularly to keep problems like that to a minimum.

03snkvert

Established Member
Our American Bulldog has an ear infection as we speak (well hopefully it is gone now) Went to the vet last Saturday and the vet took a culture and then cleaned his hears. She put ear cleaner on a cotton ball and then just kind of put it in his ear, and gently massaged the ear. After the cotton came out clean she moved to the next ear.

SVT8U

Established Member

exactly right.

I had a weimeriener once that had this same problem, and religous cleaning with peroxide was the only thing that helped.

he eventually had surgery for it and ended up being totally deaf in his later years :bored:take care of this now, or it can be major probs for your dog

straightliner1

Established Member
Q tips and alcohol work wonders to dissolve the gunk and kill the bacteria in my Mini-Schnauzer's ears. It doesn't appear to hurt her, she doesn't squirm or whine. I keep scrubbing until the Q tips come out clean. Takes me about 20-30 mins to do both ears thoroughly.

smokey

Established Member
my vet recommended a diet of rabbit and potato food...which worked great, but the $50 for a 20lb bag DIDNT work so good for me. That dogs food was costing more per month then mine!

Unless you have the DEEP pockets, be weary of some of the heavy duty diets and try and locate your allergies. Through process of elemination, i found one of my dogs to be wheat...which is in almost every dog food. Blah.

Have you ever tried Canidae? No wheat or corn fillers at all. IIRC, the first six ingredients are chicken meal, turkey meal, brown rice, white rice, herring meal and lamb meal. They also heavily fortify it with digestive enzymes, vegtables and omega fatty acids which helps with skin allergies, and if your dog has stomach issues the enzymes might help out as well. Or you can get Canidae "Lamb and Rice" Formula as well.

BTW, it's $36.99 for a 40lb bag - and I have a 125lb Newfie, and you can significantly cut down on the amount of feeding on this type of food. He went from 4 cups per day on Nutro to 2.5 cups per day on Canidae, so it's actually CHEAPER in the long run. It's not as good as something like Innova, but it is a very good dog food, much better than 99.9% of the crap that they sell in pet stores. And the other interesting thing is, he no longer puts burn marks into my lawn from pissing, and his crap is much smaller (because he's digesting more nutrients and not just passing wheat and corn filler crap) and actually will disentigrate into the lawn after a few weeks. I don't let it go that far though, don't like my backyard to be a landmine zone :D

Last edited:

Stavesacre21

Established Member
WHOA...that's impressive! I'm gonna have to look that stuff up. Don't recall having seen it at our local pet supplies plus tho.

For the price, that's impressive :-D

Mr Rx-7 tt

Established Member
Clean his ears out every night with q-tips and moist towels. Get a prescription for Odi cleans from your vet. After you clean out his ears you spray a little Odi cleans in them and he shakes his head,his ears will clean up in a week or so. You will have to stay on top of them though.

Users who are viewing this thread