Smell of Burning Oil After a Hard Pull- Pls. Response

boostedsnake

Established Member
Smell of Burning Oil After a Hard Pull- Pls. Respond

Hey guys, I get a smell of burning oil coming from under the front driver's side fender area after a few hard pulls? I recently had the under side of my car checked for any leaks and there were none. The oil level seems to be pretty consistent also (1800miles since my last oil change and may be a 1/4 of a oil quart)..............is this smell of burning oil normal for all 03 Cobras (do you guys get this also) or should I be concern? My car's stock w/just the Bassani Cat/X being the only mods and has about 3700 miles. Pls. post your comments/concerns as I am a bit worried about this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Orange Poison

Established Member
I feel mines does this sometimes too. The problem is I'll notice it every so often. It doesn't do it enough, so I forget about it. I have no leaks too. I just figure I ran it hard, so something is going to smell.....

boostedsnake

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue Poison
I feel mines does this sometimes too. The problem is I'll notice it every so often. It doesn't do it enough, so I forget about it. I have no leaks too. I just figure I ran it hard, so something is going to smell.....

I only get this smell or notice it when the car's driven hard. The smell only comes from under the front driver's side fender area. I checked the pas. side and no smell. :shrug: :shrug: Hey Blue Poison, how many miles on ur cobra and does ur oil level stay the same?

boostedsnake

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic03
could be your belt slipping too.....rubber burning can smell the same...

No way that the smell could be burning rubber it's 100% burning oil and it comes from under the f/dr/fender not from under the hood or near the blower belt.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My grandma's buick regal gs does the same thing.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
The burning smell you have is from the 8-10 (or more) psi your pushing through the engine...It's probably a little oil getting consumed...Remember those piston rings are not hermetically sealing each cylinder...There still is a little blow by regardless of how great the tolerances are...Mine does the same thing after a good flogging...I remember riding in some other Mustangs with new built up 302 engines pushing 10-13lbs and same smell, same situation...Just as long as you don’t start consuming too much oil (my oil level never fluctuates on the dipstick) your golden.

-pete:coolman:

Crazy03

Established Member
I posted this awhile back. I have the same smell after a WOT run, I also have a K&N breather so I dont know if its coming from there. The oil level stays the same so I dont worry about it to much. I have the 3.0 pulley, bassani, and jdm longtubes.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I get the same smell and one day after a hard run I opened the hood to investigage by sniffing around. The oil smell seemed to come from the K&N cone filter. With that being the case, I think there is some blowby from either the guides or rings which under power conditions is not being routed to the crankcase ventilation system. The boost is possibly pushing the blowby back through the air filter. Just a thought.

boostedsnake

Established Member
Originally posted by Wanta03L
My grandma's buick regal gs does the same thing.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk, now that you did the APPLES to BURRITO comparison, I feel alot better about the smell I get............do you know how many #s of boost your grandma's running;-) ;-) ;-) Is she a MONSTER...........ur grandma's car that is.:lol: :lol:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by boostedsnake
Okkkkkkkkkkkkk, now that you did the APPLES to BURRITO comparison, I feel alot better about the smell I get............do you know how many #s of boost your grandma's running;-) ;-) ;-) Is she a MONSTER...........ur grandma's car that is.:lol: :lol:

The GS's do have the 3.8L wuth an Eaton M-90.:beer:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
sound, or smells rather, like blowby, even old engines when run hard without a sealed crankase would have burnt oil smoke comin from the breathers after a wot run, if you got a hi-flo filter it could be comin back out of the cai tubes, the pvc vents right into it.

Users who are viewing this thread