Smell gas while driving tonight

davesbedroom

Established Member
I drove around with my girl for about 4 hours tonight. Twoards the end of the drive I smelled a hint of gas. I had the top down. I think it is comming from the front of the car because I could smell it when I moved slowly away from a stop.

Any place for me to start looking?

97 52K bone stock.

davesbedroom

Established Member
Today I wasted 50 bucks changing the canister purge solinoide because someone told me they leak. Turns out I think the smell is comming from this.

Could someone tell me what this thing is? it was cliped to the passanger side coil pack. I think the smell is comming from it. cause the smell is comming from the front part of the engine away from the fuel rails.

1.jpg

2.jpg

davesbedroom

Established Member
smell definately isn't comming from the fuel rails or the top or the rear of the engine. It is comming from the front by the cerpentine belt, more strong on the passenger side, but it isn't comming out of the fender where the canister is or back by the purge valve. Something isn't right. there is a gas odor in the engine area where there isn't any gas :-(

I hope it is this part, I'm gonna try replacing it because it looks broken.

Please help me out.

this parts part number is E8AE-9H465-BA

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by davesbedroom
Today I wasted 50 bucks changing the canister purge solinoide because someone told me they leak. Turns out I think the smell is comming from this.

Could someone tell me what this thing is? it was cliped to the passanger side coil pack. I think the smell is comming from it. cause the smell is comming from the front part of the engine away from the fuel rails.

1.jpg

2.jpg

What is that. i don't have anything like that attached to my Pass side coil pack.

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
I know it may sound weird but... did you check the gas cap? A moron at a gas station left mine off and I coulda sworn the smell was coming form the front of the car. I couldnt find what was wrong untill 240 miles later... when I went to get some gas.

GotGrunt

Established Member
check the fuel rail bolts. Mine snapped the head off the rear pass side bolt and fuel was coming out in a fine stream from the rearmost injestor where it meets the fuel rail. I had to take the IMRC plates out and do some helicoiling. NOT fun...

davesbedroom

Established Member
Good chance I blew 100 bucks at the ford parts counter because I had a loose gas cap. Tell me why I would smell gas at the very very front of the engine(above the belt), if the gas cap was slightly loose? I haven't smelled gas since the last time I was at the pump and made sure the gas cap clicked a bunch of times. Next time I'm at ford, I'm getting a new gas cap.

Thanks Guys

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I was going to suggest the gas cap, but it seemed too obvious. In the Haynes Repair Manual, under troubleshooting for fuel odors, it says to check the gas cap & the cannister/filter.

Sorry I didn't post it sooner:( .

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread