Smell coming from front of Blower

VtekII

Established Member
i just got my cobra a couple weeks ago, and ive been smelling a sort of coolant or bitter/sweet smell. i was poking around with my nose and it seems to be coming from the front of the blower. right around the pulley/front of snout. as far as i can tell its never been pullied or anything. is this a symptom of something big happening? Theres no strange noises or anything, the car runs and drives fine, id just like to get this issue taken care of.

thanks alot guys!

Sirraf

Established Member
Sounds to me like it is supercharger oil. If a good amount is coming out, like splatters on the inside of the hood of d, the snout could be cracked or the pulley damaged.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The crossover tube is right below the snout. Get a flash light and see if its leaking on either side where it goes into the heads.

RussZTT

Established Member
^^ Just as he said. Blower oil smells like shit and there isn't anything sweet about it. :lol:

VtekII

Established Member
Sounds to me like it is supercharger oil. If a good amount is coming out, like splatters on the inside of the hood of d, the snout could be cracked or the pulley damaged.

i still have the pulley cover on it, ill try and take it off and see something. but ive looked and theyre isnt any oil spray or anything that i can see. and i watched the pulley while it was running and it seemed to spin perfectly straight?

lol could it be that its out of oil now? that would be very bad i suppose. how do i check it. sorry im not retarded just new to this car. i wonder if i buy a thing of that GM supercharger oil that everyone seems to use and smell it, if thatll tell me anything.

something i noticed though the temp on the blower casing seems to be very cool to the touch if anything just a little warm. as opposed to the heads being hot as hell at full temp, my 01 heads were always hotter than hell to at full temp. id think if the blower were out of oil it would be hotter than hell too?

RussZTT

Established Member
Read some of our replys. It isn't oil, no oil smells sweet. Check under the snout because the coolant cross over tube is directly under it. The ends go into the heads there. Check for coolant there or under the tube to see if there is any coolant dripping.

VtekII

Established Member
Read some of our replys. It isn't oil, no oil smells sweet. Check under the snout because the coolant cross over tube is directly under it. The ends go into the heads there. Check for coolant there or under the tube to see if there is any coolant dripping.

i dont know how to describe the smell honestly ive never smelled anything like it. the car doesnt use any coolant that i can tell, and theres never any drips or puddles or anything.

RussZTT

Established Member
i dont know how to describe the smell honestly ive never smelled anything like it. the car doesnt use any coolant that i can tell, and theres never any drips or puddles or anything.
Well, if the blower oil has never been changed, I can tell you it STINKS BAD. Take the cap off the intercooler coolant and smell it to see if its the same as what your smelling under the snout. Hell, you can take off the hex bolt off the front of the blower to smell the oil.

VtekII

Established Member
Well, if the blower oil has never been changed, I can tell you it STINKS BAD. Take the cap off the intercooler coolant and smell it to see if its the same as what your smelling under the snout. Hell, you can take off the hex bolt off the front of the blower to smell the oil.

alright i saw that bolt there, i didnt know if thered be a build up of pressur or if the oil had to be check in the up right position. i didnt want to take that bolt out and have oil come pouring out.

i have popped the cap on both the intcooler coolant and regular engine coolant and neither smell like what im smelling. smells are such a pain in the ass to describe via the internet... damit smell-o-vision

RussZTT

Established Member
alright i saw that bolt there, i didnt know if thered be a build up of pressur or if the oil had to be check in the up right position. i didnt want to take that bolt out and have oil come pouring out.

i have popped the cap on both the intcooler coolant and regular engine coolant and neither smell like what im smelling. smells are such a pain in the ass to describe via the internet... damit smell-o-vision
True. The fill level of the oil is at the bottom of the oil, a titty bit may come out. Just put a rag under it when you remove it. While your there, go ahead and change the oil. You can replace it with Amsoil or Mobile 1. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread