small engine oil leak

97svtman

Established Member
I was looking underneath the car from a lift and saw a decent amount of oil on the passenger side of the block. close to where the head meets the block and 2-4 inches behind the timing cover. i recently did a valve cover gasket on that side and its a little damp with oil under the edge of the cover. but nothing obvious. Im not sure if the headgaskets are prone to leaking.. the car has 80k and is stock.

94venomV8

Established Member
Chances are you have the valve cover gasket a little mis aligned. Its very easy to do on these cars. I am assuming you have a DOHC 4.6L of course since your name states 97. If so, that rubber lip sometimes flips out of place and will let oil pass. It happened to me when I did mine as well.

97svtman

Established Member
yes its a 4.6 cobra thats what i thought but its like a splotch of oil in the middle of the block close to where the head meets the block but i used some orange rtv on the gasket instead of good stuff also thought my timing cover might be leaking,, do the heads normally leak oil onto the side of the block.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I pulled my valve covers off once to paint them thinking it was just a couple hour job..WRONG!! 3 days and a set of new motor mounts later I was finally done, only to have one of the spark plug tube gaskets come dis-lodged and fill my spark plug hole with oil... working with these valve covers can be extremely stressful, especially while they are in the car. I had to re-seat my gaskets 3 or 4 times before I got it right, I'm sure that's where your problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread