Sluggish in low rpms

VoIcEs

Rockin the SVT
Established Member
When im in the lower rpms (anything below 3000) its super sluggish but only after the car has been running for a while, ill almost floor it and it will just bogg down, struggle a couple of seconds and then just open up and take off. This happens in any gear as long as its below 3000. I have been told that its due the EGR staying open and messing things up. My check engine light is on and im throwing the P1518 code. Also i have an orp, and i was wondering if now that i dont have a cat if the exhaust was too hot for the EGR and messed it up. It only died once after i replaced my fuel filter and new spark plugs and wires, so those things were not due to the car shutting off im guessing.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
This might be a stupid question.... But, did you give your computer time to re-learn after the mods were put on??? How long ago did you put your last mod on??? After I put on my Ported Throttle Body, it took three days of horrible performance to fix its-self. After that, it ran soooo much better. Sorry I cant really help you, but some advice is better than none.. Good luck to ya, these other guys on this forum know 1000 times more than me (they always help me) Hopefully they can help you...

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
2.0 4 banger = no tourqe!

lol naaa, I know that's not the problem.

Sounds like you need to get a tune, to tune out the rear O2 for the ORP. You can't just bolt on everything, and be fine. Even a CAI really needs a tune to get max performance, or at least re-set the computer and give it time to re-learn.

The code your pulling is the cause of your problem for sure! P1518, Intake Manifold Runner Control Malfunction (Stuck Open) long stoery short, means your stuck on the short runners on the intake.

Primaris

Established Member
I was going to say to check the DSI even before I looked up the code. But, I felt like my last 20 posts here said check the DSI. I didn't want to sound like that was my answer for everything....

P1518 - Intake Manifold Runner Control Malfunction (Stuck Open) The IMRC system is monitored for failure during continuous, key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running self-test. The test fails when the signal on the monitor pin is less than an expected calibrated range at closed throttle. IMRC monitor signal circuit shorted to PWR GND or SIG RTN
Damaged IMRC actuator
Damaged PCM
An IMRCM PID reading approximately near 1 volt at closed throttle may indicate a fault

Most likely you need to replace the DSI lever on your intake and replace the IMRC controller. The IMRC is in front of the drivers side front wheel.

VoIcEs

Rockin the SVT
Established Member
ok well interesting thing...and now im really confused. I called the ford dealership and spoke with parts, and they said that on a 2003 SVT Ford focus there is an EGR and that they didnt see a part number showing that it had an IMRC.:shrug:

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Go check and see if the clip is broken, it's similar to a throttle cable except it terminates under the throttle body on the black plastic intake. c-f-m.com sells 2 different fixes for the problem, or you can fix it with a Jackson Racing intake (with a blower on top!) like I did. Tends to fix the low rpm sluggishness too!!! E-

Primaris

Established Member
VoIcEs said:
ok well interesting thing...and now im really confused. I called the ford dealership and spoke with parts, and they said that on a 2003 SVT Ford focus there is an EGR and that they didnt see a part number showing that it had an IMRC.:shrug:

Ford dealers and service departments are idiots. Look at the sticky posts in this forum and call Steve.

When the only the clip is broken there is no code thrown. But, when the IMRC is shot the code is reported.

93ReefNotch

Established Member
I've been experiencing the same symptoms(same CEL) in my SVTF. Everything looked fine with the clip and cable after visually expecting it, but after clearing the code it came back on within two days. I assumed it was the IMRC motor going, but I didn't want to buy one until I knew for sure. My first clue came when sitting inline at the bank. I heard the intake runner slam into the long runner position. After opening the hood and taking a look I found the intake in the long runner position. Which of course is normal, but I clearly heard the intake runner change position which means it was stuck in the short runner position while sitting in idle. Finally after a long drive I popped the hood and found the intake stuck in the short runner position at idle. The only way to get it to switch back over was to shut the engine off and start it back up. So now I have a new IMRC motor sitting on my desk waiting to go in. Hopefully I'll have sometime during the week to install it and I'll let you know the results.

Primaris

Established Member
Good info. Your post is the fist one I've read where the IMRC has failed but the DSI clip was still good.

VoIcEs

Rockin the SVT
Established Member
Well i gave up and went ahead and let the idiots take care of it, i mean might as well use the warranty to its fullest extent while its still there. But i will post up whatever they "said" was wrong and what they "Fixed". Thanks for the help guys

Primaris

Established Member
VoIcEs said:
Well i gave up and went ahead and let the idiots take care of it, i mean might as well use the warranty to its fullest extent while its still there. But i will post up whatever they "said" was wrong and what they "Fixed". Thanks for the help guys

Yea let us know. I hope having them fix it isn't as bad a move as I think it is. Way too many times the SVTF is treated just like a standard Focus by the Ford Service Departments, 'cause they know it all, and just **** thing up.

cootch1083

i have an '02 SVTF.. had this problem before, almost positive its your throttle body position sensor. i had ford fix mine and they replaced everything... fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, etc... turns out it was the sensor

93ReefNotch

Established Member
FORDSVTPARTS said:
The symptoms sound like an IMRC issue for sure, I sell the new actuators for $83.00 plus shipping.

Yup, I bought my new IMRC motor from FORDSVTPARTS. Installed it yesterday and so far so good. No more codes after several starts and seems to consistently have more low-end power.

sLeEstAk

digital being @ large
Established Member
someone mentioned that it wont throw a code if the DSI actuator is busted, but I have had it happen...threw the same code, that it was stuck in position. IMRC could be busted or your actuator. CFM sells an aluminum "DSI Lever" for the SVTF. Once you get your car back and in order, you might want to look into ordering one from them sometime just to eliminate that possibility in the future. I think they are something like 30 bucks.

Good luck with the car.

Primaris

Established Member
sLeEstAk said:
someone mentioned that it wont throw a code if the DSI actuator is busted, but I have had it happen...threw the same code, that it was stuck in position. IMRC could be busted or your actuator. CFM sells an aluminum "DSI Lever" for the SVTF. Once you get your car back and in order, you might want to look into ordering one from them sometime just to eliminate that possibility in the future. I think they are something like 30 bucks.

Good luck with the car.

The reason there is no code thrown when the DSI lever breaks is because there is no feed back at the lever or anywhere else on the intake. So the ECU (computer) doesn't know the IMRC is just moving nothing because the lever is broken. Follow? So unless the IMRC fails to move the ECU does not throw a code.

sLeEstAk

digital being @ large
Established Member
I follow you and I dont argue your reasoning, but I know from personal experience that my DSI lever broke, it ran like poop and I got an error on my SCT. My IRC was functioning fine though...I fixed it, hooked it up and all was right in the universe. Also, upon installing my JRSC, they have you install a spring rig to the IMRC cable so it senses tension on the line and doesn't throw a CEL....per the instructions.

Either way, breaking that lever sucks and it should never have been made out of plastic. Sucked even worse when there were none available for months on end....every warehouse was out of stock. An aluminum lever is a good investment, IMO.

Anyways, good luck with your issues, Voices.

Users who are viewing this thread