SLP:First Impressions of the SLP Loud Mouth Exhaust System

Mario92

Former Parts Pimp
Established Member
Back in Late August I contacted SLP in regards to their upcoming release of their Loud Mouth Exhaust for the Ford Mustangs. At that time I had talked to a Don who work in tech support at SLPONLINE.COM. During the conversation with Don he could not confirm at the time if their Kit P/N:M31000 would fit my '95 Cobra. He offered to get back with me once he confirmed that it would and before he would place my order, as at the time the kits were not manufactured yet. SLP was shooting for a November 1st release date. I agreed and gave Don my information to have on file once everything was ready.

Fast forward to Late Sept I receive a call from Don confirming that their Kit # M31000 will work with my application. I gave Don the go ahead to proceed with my order. He confirmed it would be about two to three weeks before I would see my order and I told him prefect just in time for my road trip to Vegas for SEMA. He was surprise I had mentioned this and I told him that I owned a performance parts company and was heading out there for my annual vacation. He told me that I would love the sound of the system as I was driving through the desert. :-D

The kit arrives at my door as promised and I could hardly wait to open it up.

SLP0001.jpg

SLP0002.jpg

SLP0003.jpg

SLP0004.jpg

SLP0005.jpg

Old Mufflers and tips.
SLP0006.jpg

The Install

For the install I paid a visit to a friend who owns a shop in Milpitas, CA, GNJ Motorsports (408) 945-1900. The install was pretty straight forward once we got the car on the lift and let it cool down for a about 45 minutes. (We took a KFC break during this period :-D ) We broke out a Milwaukee Sawsall to cut the stock tailpipes from the stock mufflers.

The next step was to unbolt the stock intermediate tubes/mufflers from the H-pipe and Hanger bolts. Once they were out of the way we proceeded to unbolt the hangers for the stock tailpipes and then removed them. Now came the fun part installing the SLP Loud Mouth Exhaust System. We loosely fitted the intermediate/Over axle Pipe to the H-Pipe. The next step was to take the new Exhaust hanger brackets that SLP supplied with our kit and bolt them in place. The next step then was the install of the tailpipes and last the 3.5" Hand polished tailpipe tips.

Authors comment:If your thinking about getting this exhaust for your ride and your running a 315 series tires for the rear you may want to rethink this, with my 275 series I had about 3/8” space between the tire and the tailpipe. This could be resolved by taking an air hammer to the tailpipe but why would you do this to a brand new exhaust system.

Here a few pictures of the system installed.

SLP0008.jpg

SLP0009.jpg

Under car shots of the Intermediate/Over axle pipe.

SLP0010.jpg

SLP0011.jpg

SLP0012.jpg

First impressions

Right after my friend and I got done with the install, I set out on a planned long road test so to speak. A friend from my local Ford club met another friend and I at GNJ Motorsports. Our destination was Sacramento Raceway park to meet up with some other friends from our club for the last Grudge Fest for the year.

I’ve ridden in and driven cars equipped with Flowmasters, Bassani, Flowtech but compaired to this Loud Mouth exhaust I can’t say they came close. Not only does this system live up to it's name it's also less restrictive. What I mean by this is at WOT the RPM climb easier and faster then when it was stock. A comment made by my friend that convoyed with me up to Sacramento was “That Exhaust system sounds good on the Highway” Keep in mind my friend was driving his ‘2000 Stage 2 Roush convertible with the top down the whole way. Over all I’m happy with this purchase and I’m looking forward to blasting my way down to I5>CA46>CA99>CA58>I15 for my Vegas trip to attend SEMA and meet up with some friends.

Before & After Dyno results be posted once I can find an open date to get onto the rollers.

Stock Exhaust sound clip: Factory Headers-pipe & Mufflers

SLP Exhaust sound clip: Factory Headers, H-pipe & SLP Loud Mouth Exhaust

I just scanned in and updated the Installation instructions for the SLP Loud Mouth Exhaust Kit # M31000 for your reference. You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to view it.

Link: SLP-M3100.pdf

Last edited:

98BVERT

Established Member
Mario-Sounds pretty mean!!This afternoon I spoke with Joey at SLP regarding a catback for my 98 Cobra.He told me to call him back in a week,and that they would be available to the public at that time.I'm hoping that that is true.I'm running 315/35/17's in the rear and hope this won't cause a problem for the 98 system like it sounds like it would with yours.How did the pipes fit together?And how did the clamps work at the hold spots?Did the system seem to go together and tighten into place nice and solidly?Any chance of leaks at the clamp spots?:coolman:
Glenn

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Okay that's pretty much the sound I've been looking for. :thumbsup:

Mario92

Former Parts Pimp
Established Member
Originally posted by 98BVERT
Mario-Sounds pretty mean!!This afternoon I spoke with Joey at SLP regarding a catback for my 98 Cobra.He told me to call him back in a week,and that they would be available to the public at that time.I'm hoping that that is true.I'm running 315/35/17's in the rear and hope this won't cause a problem for the 98 system like it sounds like it would with yours.How did the pipes fit together?And how did the clamps work at the hold spots?Did the system seem to go together and tighten into place nice and solidly?Any chance of leaks at the clamp spots?:coolman:
Glenn

Glenn,

Over all the quality was excellent with a tight fit between the connections. I’d ask Joey at SLP for his thoughts about wheel clearances between the tailpipe and rear tire. For on my install we still had to make a few adjustments with the hangers and driver side gas tank. I.e. bend up part of the lip to the tank. Currently I’m running 275/40/17’s on a set of C58 Cobra R’s. If I decide I want to run a BFG DR in a 315 size I may have to look into some H&R wheel spaces either a 1”, 1 3/16” or 1 3/8’ but at $149+ per set I want to make sure I order the right set the first time out.

Mario92

Former Parts Pimp
Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
You never said how much they charged you though....

$399.95 plus $40 for S&H :thumbsup:

Who knows how long this special offer will last.

98ssssvt

Established Member
Mario,
Well after hearing your setup, which is the sound was looking for all along, I decided that I will get them the first thing they are released - instead of the magnapacks. If anybody here is interested in the SLP Cat-Back for your Cobra here are the answers I got:

Answer #1 )- from Joey at SLP: He said that its going to be 2 more weeks before the release of the Cobra Cat Back,(96 - 98) and a few months for the Long Tubes. w/the x-pipe

And answer # 2: is a response from m E-Mail--->

"Thank you for your interest in SLP Performance Parts.
According to Ford's original-equipment part numbers and dimensional data, our 1998 GT "Loud Mouth" system (#M31001) SHOULD also fit a '98 Cobra.
Unfortunately our engineers have not yet had a chance to install the system on a Cobra, and we therefore cannot guarantee that it will be compatible with your vehicle. If you're interested in purchasing the system, we would be happy to take it back at full purchase price in the event that it doesn't fit. If you'd like to pursue this option, please contact our Sales Manager,
Kevin Woodruff, at [email protected].

SLP long-tube headers for 1996-up DOHC Cobras are in the works now and should be completed by early next year. We do not have plans to develop an H-pipe at this point, as we have found that the X-pipe design offers superior flow and sound characteristics.
For all the latest information on SLP Mustang products, please visit http://www.slponline.com/mustang.asp and register for our electronic mailing list.
Thanks again for your inquiry.
Regards,
Team SLP PP"

So there you go,

Users who are viewing this thread