Slow/no crank with hot engine

Cashbum

Established Member
Trying to figure out my issue with my 03 cobra. It doesn't want to start after I've driven it about an hour or so. Or I should say the starter is really slow to turn over or won't turn at all. No clicking from the starter but the radio will reset itself. If I've let it sit over night or more than an hour or two it will start but struggle. The battery is relocated in the trunk and is less than a year old. It's an interstate battery. Starter is brand new and alternator is a PA 200 amp I believe. Just trying to figure out what would cause this as it leaves me stranked at grocery stores for more than 2 hours sometimes.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Push start it next time..I would park in spots where car would roll.

sounds like wire issue..with radio resetting. .like its loosing a ground

Or battery cable. Not large enough to carry power to starter or back to fuse box

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Push start it next time..I would park in spots where car would roll.

sounds like wire issue..with radio resetting. .like its loosing a ground

Or battery cable. Not large enough to carry power to starter or back to fuse box

+1 on the starter wire. I ran into the same issue with mine not wanting to start after being hot (my battery is also in the trunk). I swapped out the 4ga. wire from the battery to the starter to a 0ga. wire and no issues.

Zemedici

Established Member
Where is the ground at? Factory location? My car is slower to start (battery in trunk as well)

But recently had a customers car that wouldnt start when hot, and turned out his ground was the culprit.

cj428mach

Established Member
You need a much larger power wire when the battery is relocated to the trunk.

Cashbum

Established Member
The power wire is fairly large. Not sure on the awg size though. I bought the car this way. The battery is grounded to the frame by the rear wheel. The starter is grounded where the battery would be and my ice box is currently at. It looks to be the stock ground. White/red with a weather tite connection near the fuse box.

Cashbum

Established Member
Which ground wire? I'm also thinking I'm missing the ground that goes from behind the oil filter to the frame. Haven't confirmed though

hotcobra03

Established Member
Look at jump starting a car..with good cables there is no need to start 2nd car..

good cable weights a ton and not cheap

MG0h3

Established Member
Did you replace the starter or was that the previous owner?

What you are experiencing is heat soak. Numerous things happen to electrical systems when hot, amperage requirements increase and switchs/contacts expand and or fail.

So like the other guys have said, you may simply need a larger cable between the battery and starter/ground/alt or you may have a bad connection that isnt showing up unless you are hot.

Users who are viewing this thread