slight miss at idle isnt worse but now throws a code...

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
My car has always (since i had it 20 K miles) had a slight miss at idle. You cannot tell w/ even a little bit of throttle. The other day i was driving in 5th at 1900 rpm and my CE light comes on. I have 2 codes i was in a hurry and didnt write them down but i can always re check them.

O2 sensor bank one (wish i had the specific code)
misfire cyl 7

Now wouldnt either of these throw the CE light so why both at once. I have no cats and use the chepo MIL eliminators but have had it that way for about 10 K miles. So whats changed? I guess i need to re read the codes to determine front or rear O2 sensor.

It is my understanding that the fronts tune the fuel mixture and the rears "ONLY" check the cats operation. Is this true. I will be able to work on it this weekend so what should I do?

Oh yea the car has plugs and wires 15K miles ago and had a professional 3 some of fuel injector cleaners run through it.

One sprayed in the intake
one in the fuel rail w/ some fuel
one in the tank.

What else could cause this.

Can you buy 1 fuel injector. Theyre a little pricy to expiriment w/

Guess i need to call steve.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Need to know front or rear on the O2.
Yes you are correct. front's read and adjust, rears are only to tell if cats are working or not.

Don't go and by an injector just yet, could be plug, wire or something else.

1st thing I'd do is clear the codes and see if they return.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Yea I thought of that but the moron at AZ wouldnt it. I need to get a handheld tuner for this reason. Ill try to get them cleared asap.

Some codes clear themselves and more major ones dont. Anybody know what mine are?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Or pull the fuse to the ECM. You can do that on a Dodge, I know. Does Ford have a single fuse to the ECM? Might be asier than removing a battery terminal, if so.

Jim Snover

Unhook the battery for a few minutes.

909cobra

Established Member
yes you can just buy one injector. my number 7 went out a few months ago. check it with an ohm meter. mine was dead. if you have a manual it should tell you how to check them. replacing it was pretty simple . you'll new o rings for the one side. the book tells you to pull both rails . i just pulled the rail that had the injector so i just replaced those seals. and let the car sit overnite to relieve pressure.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
not to look at the bad side of things, could have a slightly bent valve. i had a dohc 3.0 taurus in here bout a year ago, just barley missed in gear at idle. leakdown test, blew air outta the exaust. not saying thats what it is, just take you time and diag it.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
I'll check the injector but if its completly dead wouldn't this be a lot worse. You can barely notice the miss. The number 7 thing is interesting though.

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
What plugs are you using? I put in TR6 plugs in my 5.4 and it started running rough at cruise and missing at idle. I am putting the Bosch Platinums back in first chance I get....

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Autolite copper plugs. Car felt a lot stronger w plugs and wires didn't notice a change in idle.

Users who are viewing this thread