Slicks with stock power?

txturbogs

Established Member
Anyone running slicks with stock power? I'm wondering if a set of Slicks will put too much stress on the stock read end.

Just finished my second set of tires at 10k miles and I need new tires. I had Michellin PS, good tire, but want a sticker tire at the track without having to buy DR and conventional tires for street use. Thanks

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Anyone running slicks with stock power? I'm wondering if a set of Slicks will put too much stress on the stock read end.

Just finished my second set of tires at 10k miles and I need new tires. I had Michellin PS, good tire, but want a sticker tire at the track without having to buy DR and conventional tires for street use. Thanks

You've gone through the stockers AND a set of Michellins in 10k miles??

txturbogs

Established Member
Yes

Yes, it's hard not to. The michellins still have some life, but one of them tore up bad so I need to replace them both. I'm getting another set of PS and if the board approves a set of slicks. If not then just some MT DR. Saw a thread where 305/35/20 fit fine.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Yes, it's hard not to. The michellins still have some life, but one of them tore up bad so I need to replace them both. I'm getting another set of PS and if the board approves a set of slicks. If not then just some MT DR. Saw a thread where 305/35/20 fit fine.

Sounds like you need to do what many of us do: Buy a second set of wheels (or at least rears). One set to drive on, one set to play on. :beer:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Oh, and in answer to your actual question(lol), a lot of guys have bent their axles after switching to stickier tires. Some at modified levels of power, but some at stock. Might want to consider axles if you're going to run slicks.

BOD89LX

Established Member
The biggest problem with slicks is the car is going to bog almost everytime you try to launch at the track unless you are trying to leave at 5500 rpm or higher. Are you still running the stock clutch ?

txturbogs

Established Member
Exactly

Yes, that is what I want to do, buy a set of track wheels and tires and street tires. Just purchased some Drag radials from MT. I will finish them and then it looks like its off to Moding. Axles will be upgraded, etc. It will be a beast for sure.

At stock power, in the mean time while finish the DR, at what RPM are you launching?

Thanks for the replies.:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread