Slicks or DRs for Auto/Blower 5.0?

robloz50

Established Member
Just received my Darkstars from Beefcake in 15 x10/17x4.
I need some advice on what tires to buy.
My car is a 2011 auto with the paxton blower and stock 3.15 gears.
Not going to drive on the street with them mainly for track only.

Thanks for any input.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
I have a paxton/auto setup as well and had Hoosier Quick time pro's(28x11.50). They dead hooked at the track(with terrible track prep) and they hook really good on the street too.

04compgt

Established Member
I would run a drag radial. The autos will hook well with a drag radial and I will take the better handling of a drag radial over the slicks

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Are you going to be driving to RP or Lone Star? If so I would get a drag radial.

We have identical cars. Here is a pic of mine with rt-s 17's

2011GTCS.jpg

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
275/60/15 drag radial, should hook fine with the auto and will be quicker and more stable than a slick. I went 1.50 60's with mine dead hooking, beefcake has been 1.3x I believe on 275's, so they do hook if setup right.

armycook1981

Established Member
Get the new 275/60/15 mt et street pro's I think the name is its thre newer tire compound and a member on here with a kenne bell cut off .2 just by swapping the tires from the reg mt et streets

robloz50

Established Member
Are you going to be driving to RP or Lone Star? If so I would get a drag radial.

We have identical cars. Here is a pic of mine with rt-s 17's

2011GTCS.jpg

Nice car looks real good! I was really thinking about getting the Welds but Beefcake came out with the sale on the Darkstars and couldnt pass it up.

I have always had 275/50/15 drag radials on my old foxbodys.

Would they much difference going from 275/60 to 275/50?

robloz50

Established Member
Get the new 275/60/15 mt et street pro's I think the name is its thre newer tire compound and a member on here with a kenne bell cut off .2 just by swapping the tires from the reg mt et streets

A buddy of mine had mentioned the same thing about getting the new Mikey Thompsons, just had not researched till now.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

This is 100% the right answer, this, and the m&h radial tire is the combo you want

i'm making over 1000rwhp and pulling 1.3's on them. Great tire! and that's still at full weight!

Dtony

Established Member
I have tried both slicks and dr's, all my best times have came with drag radials. The MT pro 275 is the best tire I have ever used. I have hit consistent mid 1.4x 60's since switching to them.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
This is 100% the right answer, this, and the m&h radial tire is the combo you want

i'm making over 1000rwhp and pulling 1.3's on them. Great tire! and that's still at full weight!

armycook1981 is talking about me... but yeah i had a pair of the reg mt et streets then dumped those for the pro's... those thing are nasty..

when i was at holly springs race track for the event back in october i think it seemed like half the x275 cars had them puppies on... must say something about traction....

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
OP, Tires alone aren't a total answer to your 60 ft times. You need to dial in the suspension along with the right tire to achieve the best 60' times.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I like slicks for everything. I went from spinning on DRs in my auto car (Fox) to pulling the fronts and dead hooking with slicks.

Users who are viewing this thread