sleeper anyone

~Lucky 13~

midget kicker
Established Member
Its always cool to see some random car like that run a fast time but I usually end up asking why put money into a car like that? Dont get me wrong its better than rice farting around.

I know some people like to sneak up on someone and suprise them with how fast they might be with their sleeper but I would rather drive a slow stock fox body with exhaust than a fast sleeper like that. Just my .02 :rockon:

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
Great sleeper with the crappiest sounding exhaust I think I've ever heard.

turboz24

Established Member
The exhaust noise on that run wasn't actually from my car, it was from the 3rd Gen Cavalier next to mine.

I would have to admit that FWD can be "Eww" for drag racing. A true limited slip will help, which would be nice since I am currently replacing the restrictive pre-turbo exhaust, which is currently limiting top end and boost to a meager 12 psi.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Originally posted by turboz24
The exhaust noise on that run wasn't actually from my car, it was from the 3rd Gen Cavalier next to mine.

I would have to admit that FWD can be "Eww" for drag racing. A true limited slip will help, which would be nice since I am currently replacing the restrictive pre-turbo exhaust, which is currently limiting top end and boost to a meager 12 psi.

:beer:

I'd like to say your cavy's badass. Did it go 11's?

turboz24

Established Member
Not yet. My current ignition program is rough, which I will work on along with the fuel maps when I get the new headers, crossover, external wastegate, and full 60-1 turbo on, hopefully solving my back pressure issues. I'm hoping with retuning, we will see a 12 flat without touching boost.

The only problem with going upto the max 25 psi intended boost (on premium pump gas) is the tranny. I'm pretty much at it's max shock load on launch and I currently have a hard time getting any decent traction. I do have a staged boost setup, which I will use to keep the lower gears controllable.

Any time you are dealing with a project, you have problems. You fix one problem, which leads to another problem. My back pressure issues all started when I took out the meager 212/206 .454"/.444" flat tappet hydraulic cam and replace it with a billet mechanical roller 254/246 .62"/.60" cam. Add to that a 59% increase in the head flow rate (they sucked stock), and the exhaust just doesn't flow enough. In fact, the crossover currently has a wicked crack in it (like 1/16th inch wide), but it's not affecting boost at all.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Again, very badass.

I hate to keep pestering you, but how much does the car weigh?

I'm thinkin about turboing my cutty or tgp swap instead of the l67 in the future(very long time from now)

Davechapelsvt

Established Member
dude, what motor is in it? the 3.1? u must have just totally rebuilt that motor... thats pretty impressive.. cavy's normally suck.. i had a gen 3 and it ran 15.3 with 3 bolt ons.. i saw a vid of a gen 4 beeting the hell out of a trans am that runs 12.8.. it was on the highway of coarse.. i have to say i'd be really pissed if i got beat by a Z24.. did you upgrade the axles and shit like that to handle that power?

turboz24

Established Member
IT is still a 3.1 V6, yes. Not much is remaining of it in it's stock form, though. It' a very good motor with plenty of potential, but leave it up to GM not to get even close to it (reminds me of Ford and the 5.0, did one of those for an 84' RX-7). They have always enticed us with "protoype cars" with done up 3.1's, twin turbo AWD with 383 HP, 3.4 liter NA version with 225 HP. Pretty small package (being 60 degree and all), long ass rods (5.7"), 3.31" stroke and 3.5" bore. Makes for a pretty good rever motor, but the cam, intake, etc is all setup for max torque before 3000, so they tended to lack HP.

Yes, I did upgrade the axles. I was fortunate enough to discover that the STS Cadillac front spindles, rotors, calipers, and bearings will fit the older Cavaliers. That allowed me to use much larger outer CV joints, which I had made by Driveshaftshop.com.

That Red 3rd Gen Cavalier is probably Mike's. He lives in the same city I do. That car has 410 Wheel HP (25 psi of boost), but....... It's a dyno queen. His turbo system has way too much lag and his best 1/8th so far is 8.6 seconds..... Not good for 410 HP. Just think of him as a FWD version of a Supra owner. Only willing to race on the highway, and slow on the track.

Last edited:

turboz24

Established Member
That would be Dallas. Those runs were actually in St Louis at STL (I think that's what it was called). I was there for the national J Body (Cavalier, Sunbird, etc) meet.

Users who are viewing this thread