Sleep deprived thoughts.... about sleep.

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
Your all wrong! It's to help your midichlorians to recharge so we can use the force lmfao

1269072566618.jpg

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I cant ever get enough sleep, i would sleep all day if i could

i wish i could, i've been scarred by my mom for life. i used to sleep in til noon back in HS and she would come bang my door w/ the vaccuum and say she was just cleaning. :nonono:
my lil bro came by last wkend and slept til like 130, i asked if mom still did that and he said yes and that she never lets him sleep lol :beer::banana:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Theories on why we sleep:

1) Inactivity Theory: Various species learned that if they were still during times their predators hunted them, they had less likely chance to be attacked. It evolved into what we know as sleep. Simple counter-argument is that it's probably less risky to just stay awake all the time to outwit your hunters

2) Energy Conservation Theory: Reduce your body's energy demand during a time when food is less available (night). Our body temperature and caloric demand reduce when we sleep.

3) Restorative Theory: Repair and rejuvenate. Animals deprived of sleep lose all immune system function and die in a matter of weeks. In humans, muscle growth, tissue repair, and protein synthesis occur most rapidly during sleep. This is why body builders recommend so much sleep. Other rejuvenating aspects of sleep are specific to the brain and cognitive function. While we are awake, neurons in the brain produce adenosine from cell activities. Adenosine build up is thought to be one factor that leads to our perception of being tired. We counter this with caffeine, which blocks the actions of adenosine in the brain and keeps us alert.

stangin99

Established Member
I'll buy this stuff for most animals.

I'm still curious as to where sleep ends on the kingdom of life.

I'd imagine at some point where something is classified as a "complex" organism.

I don't think individual cells "sleep". When your body sleeps, it just has a different operating mode. It still uses your muscles and tissues(albeit to repair themselves) but they don't turn "off".

I don't see how a single cell can go into a sleep state, as it would need to be able to know the difference between "sleep" and "awake".

Users who are viewing this thread