Slander Discussion

N A Rush

Established Member
I have a question that arose out of a discussion we were having at work.

Last month we had someone steal a generator from a conex box behind our shop located in an industrial park.

Last week an employee from another shop in our same building threw away some shop equipment in our 15 yd dumpster. We removed the equipment and planed to dismantle it for scrap like all the other items that end up in the dumpster. This gentleman came to our office the next morning and asked to retrieve the equipment stating he threw away the wrong item. The item was given back to him and he placed into his personal vehicle. That morning the manager and I spoke with the manager for the other shop. We informed him that the dumpster wasn’t a community dumpster and that we paid for it removal. We didn’t mind them using it but to please ask before in case we have to fill it ourselves.

This prompted to ask what was thrown out and by whom. He stated that the item in question had been reported as missing yesterday. A short while later he returned and asked if this was the item we had found in the dumpster, which it was. The equipment had been returned to their work truck. Their manager also stated that they had tools and other equipment come up missing over the last 2 weeks and they couldn’t tell who was removing the items.

I wanted to inform the investigator for the local police department about this incident however out site manager prevented me from doing so because he stated it would be slander and that would be liable. It was my viewpoint that it wasn’t slander and it wasn’t knowingly false information that we made public.

Would providing this individuals information to the investigator be slanderous?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Slander is making false or damaging statements about somebody.

Anyhow your best bet is to lock up your dumpster to prevent ya'll from becoming part of the rodeo that is about to go down at the other shop.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member

Anyhow your best bet is to lock up your dumpster to prevent ya'll from becoming part of the rodeo that is about to go down at the other shop.

reporting a crime is not slander.

failure to report a crime, is a crime.

its only slander if it isnt true and damages a good reputation.

obviously, a crime is being committed.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

reporting a crime is not slander.

failure to report a crime, is a crime.

its only slander if it isnt true and damages a good reputation.

obviously, a crime is being committed.

Another open and shit case by SVTP. OP, report it, it is not slander, especially if you are giving an investigator information that YOU witnessed.

N A Rush

Established Member
His argument is that by providing this man to the police as a possible suspect with no proof that we are damage his character and thereby slanderous.

I don't have any legal examples to show him that he is misguided in his beliefs. Can you provide any case studies?

neatofrito1618

Established Member
His argument is that by providing this man to the police as a possible suspect with no proof that we are damage his character and thereby slanderous.

I don't have any legal examples to show him that he is misguided in his beliefs. Can you provide any case studies?
There wouldn't be any case studies because that doesn't even come close to fitting the definition of slander.

Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Defamation of character legal definition of Defamation of character. Defamation of character synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

A. The statement wasn't knowingly false.
B. He hasn't suffered any damages that he can claim.

Your manager is a moron.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You are fired but hey at least you did the right thing, LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread