Skip a vacation to work?

CV355

_
Established Member
My father was the same way at first early on in mine and my sisters early life. Working 80-96++ hours a week he missed quite a bit of our early childhood.
Luckily, he caught his break early and was able to scale back work to spend more time with us. But he still has regrets over missing a lot of milestones that we had between 0-4~5 years old.
I get it, he had to bust his ass to get established, but I feel like he would trade it to relive those moments to see us more.

I did the same thing with my first 5 years of marriage. I felt so obligated to keep the doors open where I worked that I pulled 2 shifts constantly. Adrenaline and caffeine kept me going. It got tougher with time, and the company started expecting it. When the effects from overworking finally caught up to me, I tried to cut back. The same people that offered hollow advice magically changed tune when I started cutting back to 45hrs/wk. Much of the OT I made along the way went towards medical bills over the last 3 years. It wasn't worth it. After I quit, all of that "playing Atlas" went on to 3 other people who have since contacted me and asked how the hell I did it all those years.

This year, I've been putting the focus more on my marriage and keeping in touch with family. It hasn't been easy since the negatives from past decisions are still trailing off, but it's a better direction than in the past.

Not sure what decision OP went with, but I'm hoping he took the vacation.

Eh, vacations are overrated.

I agree, depending on the trip. I start to get homesick after a few days on the road. It's the time off that's important. Some people recharge best sitting on a beach with a cold drink in their hand. I recharge best at home, whittling down the to-do list and listening to music.

I did take a vacation up to New England last year to visit two family members I hadn't seen in 7 years. I'm really glad I went. I had a huge project going on at work, and the timing sucked. But I went anyways. One month after the visit, one of the family members passed away. I'm really glad I got to see again before she passed.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
opportunities don't often present themselves everyday. think long run.

FJohnny

Established Member
There's really not a right answer, is there? It's individual and depends on your situation.

Would it help to think of it like an investment decision? A guy who saves his money and invests now will one day have more stuff and an easier life when he's older. He misses out on a newer car, bigger boat today. He won't have as many memories of water skiing himself but will own the lakefront cabiin and big boat for his kids and grandkids to ski behind. What works for you?

You are considering how to invest your time. Vacation today means more today memories and today relaxation. How does that compare for you to more vacations and even sooner relaxation when you are older? Do you love to work or can you hardly wait to retire?

I was in your spot 35 years ago. I chose work 7 days a week. For me it was the right answer and I got to retire after 15 years of full on effort. Kids still young so I got a lot of the memories as well. Definitely missed a few, though. And my wife had to pick up the slack at home.

But, as someone mentioned earlier, If I had packed it in a week after quitting working I would have been really PISSED!

lilcoop03

Established Member
I want to grow, badly, My father owns an electrical firm and is willing to loan me capitol and labor if these projects require more than my current resources allow.

Here's your answer. Especially if you just planned to take a week off and not do something incredibly special/unique.

nxhappy

Established Member
you can always find work, and more clients (if you are smart enough and business WORTHY). You cannot always find free time for vacation with the wife/kids. That's how I know it...my 02

Users who are viewing this thread