Size of stock blower pulley VS TVS on GT-500

RedFox

Established Member
What is the exact size of the stock supercharger pulley on the GT-500 and how does it compare to the one that comes with the FRPP TVS kit?

On boost alone, what is the increase psi to be gained with the TVS kit. For proper comparison, let's assume a bone stock GT-500.

LEESTOYSTANG

Established Member
As far as I was told they are the same exact size from the stock to the TVS... I opted to go to a VMP 2.6 for my TVS.. You can expect to gain about 4 psi from the TVS and a big kick in the pants when done installing... Just my $.02

RedFox

Established Member
I've been doing some reading on the TVS 2.3. Its the same blower going on the ZR-1. The GM engineers had chosen turbos to go on the ZR-1 but late in the development process tested the TVS and picked it over turbos. They claimed it achieved near turbo efficiency with lower heat levels (especially compared to the older roots style) with advantages in reliability and packaging.

Its great to hear you guys are happy with it. Has anybody measured IAT2s compared to the stock blower and how does it sound in comparison.

Thank you for your feedback.

IMO, you can't beat Eaton reliability.

LEESTOYSTANG

Established Member
You might want to check w/ Justin @ VMP tuning .. He has all that info... I will be taking my car to him to do hopefully a stage 4 in a couple of weeks..

RedFox

Established Member
How does blower whine compare?

That's a good suggestion. I will give Justin a call.

For those who have installed the TVS, how does blower whine compare to stock and to a ported blower?

I was reading an article on the TVS on the ZR-1 and they said it was quieter than the previous generation Eaton roots. Is that true?

Blaine

Established Member
According to this months MM&FF. The TVS blower pulley is actually a 2.9 vs the stock 3.0. Giving it a bit more boost. TVS setup makes 40-50 more rwhp at the same boost lvl due to the better efficiency.

RedFox

Established Member
According to this months MM&FF. The TVS blower pulley is actually a 2.9 vs the stock 3.0. Giving it a bit more boost. TVS setup makes 40-50 more rwhp at the same boost lvl due to the better efficiency.

Did they mention anything about the sound level? I've heard (but not confirmed) that its actually quieter than stock.

Eaton sourced information claim that they do have greater efficiency @ 76% which is also better than current twin screws @ 66%, but some of the hp gain comes from greater displacement 2.1 vs 2.3 (9.5%). The smaller pulley is probably good for 1 psi. So its still hard to break down how much the 50 hp gain is strictly due to efficiency.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
MM&FF never mentioned the sound difference, but, if you want to hear how it sounds... go to youtube.com and look for videos of the supersnake with the TVS. There a bunch of videos with the TVS supercharger. One wo/the kenne bell, but as far as I could hear the TVS is just as loud as the stock one if not a bit quieter. If you want LOUD... then the Kenne Bell is the one you want.

I love the way the TVS fits under the strut brace and the fact you keep you warranty, but the sound and the HP potential of the Kenne Bell is what sold me on it.

Remember that some of that 50 HP gain is from the FRPP intake. 50-80 gains have been seen just from an intake and tune alone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread