Site Performance Not Considerably Improved Removing Attachments

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Removing the attachment feature hasn't sped the site up enough to warrant removing the feature. Just my opinion.

Please let me know if you would like info on some other ISP's that can handle the loads without excessive cost.

:beer:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I disagree; removing the attachment feature has made a tremendous difference in the performance of the site, and I believe 100’s of other people would disagree with you also. Last night we peaked at almost 400 users on at one time, before with the attachment feature enabled the site would have came to almost a standstill at just over 300. There are still a couple bugs I need to take care of that is hurting performance, which will be done soon. The attachment feature will not return until we are running the new version of vBulletin and I am satisfied that it will run without causing problems with the database.

I don't think some of you guys understand the burden that the attachments put on the database. MySQL is not designed to handle tables the size of what the attachment table can become in just a couple months. Not only does that hurt the performance of the site, but it also causes damage to the software on the server. The advantage of the new version of vBulletin is that it stores attachments outside of the database, in a file. The software is still in Release Candidate status however.

To my knowledge, there are no other large sites that provide features like attachments. Some don't allow avatars and have a no images rule in their signatures. Some sites don't even allow searching! I think I have been very generous in the features allowed here, and until I was absolutely certain that the problems we were/are having were stemmed from one certain feature I didn't disable it. You think I like taking popular features away? I enjoyed the attachment feature just as much as you, but at this time I just cannot justify having it enabled.

I mean no offense towards you Jeff, so please don't take it that way.

:beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
That's OK. I understand. It's your site, and it's free (to us, and let me tell you the site could run like an absolute dog and I would still be more than happy with it). I never had issues with the slowness, maybe because I'm running T-line speeds and I'm a patient guy.

Others I guess aren't as happy having to wait 5-10 seconds for the post to refresh. You did get a lot of complaints about that I admit.

Just thought I should let you know.

:beer: :beer:

TrophyCar

2wheels are better than 4
Established Member
I'm on dial-up and removing the attachment feature has made a HUGE difference on my end. There are still problems, but we all need to appreciate that Steve is working his little butt off!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread