siren/pa system

asinatra

Established Member
Live in california and recently bought a siren/pa system, tried searching through the dmv ca code book with nothing, so i thought i would ask if the siren (3 sirens; one is "hyperyelp", two are used for emergency vehicles, "wail","yelp") use is illegal, and if the pa use is illegal as long as it doesnt pass freedom of speech (yes i know exactly what it means)

:shrug:

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
they are illegal. my friend got hassled about his and the only way he got the cops to leave him alone is becasue he was in a parking lot and therefore was using it on private property. im most likely gonna get one for my car though, could be lots of fun.

Justin

asinatra

Established Member
hrm, makes me wonder now, cause this thing blows the underwear of any other pa system i have ever heard, and i dont want to part with it considering how much i payed for so little use. never really "installed" just placed in my bed with another battery powering it. shoot me a pm if you interested and would like some info.

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
eh, just think of it this way, its not illegal if you dont get caught. and if you do get caught what r they gonna do, give you a fix it ticket? some friends of mine had some that made farm animal noises and songs and stuff like that, it was funny as shit. im not interestedd right now cause i got no money. sorry.

justin

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
If you install the device on your vehicle and operate it while on a public roadway you will be in violation of two CVC sections;

CVC 30

CVC 2416 (c)

Violation of section 2416 (c) is a misdemeanor and could subject you to arrest and your vehicle being impounded as evidence, leaving you with one heck of an impound bill.

"Freedon of Speech" has no influence in this situation.

asinatra

Established Member
i tired looking up the codes and dont know where my code book is even though its size is huge... whats the full cvc descriptions on those, and is it/could it be noise polution if i killed the siren part?

edit:

30. It is declared as a matter of legislative policy that red lights and sirens on vehicles should be restricted to authorized emergency vehicles engaged in police, fire and lifesaving services; and that other types of vehicles which are engaged in activities which create special hazards upon the highways should be equipped with flashing amber warning lamps.

2416. (3) Firefighting or rescue equipment designed and operated exclusively as such

Ok, so i KNOW that the siren is illegal, what about the PA system?
:shrug:

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
All I can tell you is I have many friends who patrol Blackstone/Shaw/Herndon Avenues on the weekends and things like PA's, really loud stereos and the ricer/racers catch their eyes quicker than anything else.

Most Fresno officers will work with the usual cruiser crowd, however they have jobs to do and if you make yourself stand out..........they will do their jobs.

Let's face it, keep it to a dull roar and you'll be fine and we will all continue to enjoy cruising Blackstone after dark!

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
Speaking of police patrolling cruise strips... on a popular strip here, The Avenue of the Cities (yes, that's the actual name), there are signs posted everywhere that say "Unnecessary repetitive driving prohibited." However, it isn't enforceable. The only reason I'm saying it's not enforceable is because a county Sheriff told me that as long as you don't violate any traffic laws, they can't stop you for driving on the "avenue."

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Many cities including Modesto, CA (home of American Graffiti) have city ordinances prohibiting cruising on main roadways. McHenry Blvd. in Modesto was the location for the above-mentioned movie, however if you make a few passes by an officer he can cite you. It's pretty sad that gang violence and general misbehavior on the part of our youth have brought us to this point.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
The police that patrol the area I mentioned above don't really seem to care about cars that cruise. I've never been stopped and I don't know anyone else that has been stopped without reason. If you have a loud stereo, or are causing trouble somewhere, then they'll stop you.

asinatra

Established Member
Thanks for all the input, but the more i want to install it i just think that my truck is "too good" to run wires and stuff unless i did a truly custom install and de-solder and do some new buttons. SO right now its on hold, but if you know anyone that wants it i am willing to negotiate a price, i paid 130ish for the siren/pa and 80some for the speaker itself.

Users who are viewing this thread