Single turbo cobras, I really need your input!!!

powershifter

Established Member
Hey guys I'm upgarding my on3performance turbo and I'm considering 2 choices the precision 6765 billet turbo or the precision 7675 billet turbo. Both journal bearing. The car will almost always be on pump gas. With a horse power goal of 650-700 rwhp my main concern is how much lag i would get from a billet 76, I'm considering using a .96 ar for the 7675 and a 1.00 divided housing if i get the 6765.

The car is an 02 mustang gt with an 03 cobra longblock and an 01 cobra intake

Thanks you , any input would be greatly appreciated!

Teej281

Established Member
The billet 6765 is good for 900hp. So i'd try the billet 67mm out. And lots of no lag too :D Also, I would not put a journal bearing turbo on my car. I'll be going for 700rwhp on my 2v GT with that turbo next year!

powershifter

Established Member
The billet 6765 is good for 900hp. So i'd try the billet 67mm out. And lots of no lag too :D Also, I would not put a journal bearing turbo on my car. I'll be going for 700rwhp on my 2v GT with that turbo next year!

no lag is definitely a plus. That's one of the reasons I'm having trouble decidint, top end power or no lag

CobraMac

Established Member
Save up some more money and go for the ball-bearing. Don't cheap out on it now and regret it later on down the road for not doing it right the first time!

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Would he see the advantage of a billet BB turbo running the on3performance kit? I would think the smaller intercooler and pipes would hold it back some. Maybe a better option would be to go with a slightly cheaper turbo and update a few parts on the turbo kit?

Just thinking out loud here and trying to point the guy to a well rounder kit for over all performance.

Greg@RET

Established Member
I will let you know the best advise ever. Dont be cheap, if its cheap dont get it :beer: Seriously.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I will let you know the best advise ever. Dont be cheap, if its cheap dont get it :beer: Seriously.

And that right there is why my turbo kit is costing so freakn much. I went balls out on the kit because I dont want to replace anything on it down the road. Next year is going to be a TH400 trans and after that the stock engine will be replaced so I can take advantage of the turbo kit. :rockon: Everyone is excited about the build so you know I did something right!! LOL

woodboy25

Established Member
Ball Bearings are not worth the price if you ask me. I have a Buick GN also. I had a JB 6765 with the .85 housing turbo during the summer. On my 235ci 8.0:1 engine and a 2800-3000 stall converter it went from 10 psi to 31psi in one second! No wheel spin, at the track on a 28" drag radial I have a datalog to prove it. In "Buick land" my converter was considered too tight for that turbo. I would suggest spending the $700 on other things. It's not being cheap if you dont get it. Believe it or not in a dyno comparison, an old JB 6176 spooled faster than a BB billet 6265 in one instance.

The Cobra has more compression and ci so spooling the turbo shouldnt be a problem if the tune is decent in that range. I am looking to change my setup and will not even consider BB turbos. JB work just fine. Tune it and make sure you have a respectable converter when you swap to the 400.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I had a JB GT42-76 and depending on how I drove it it would start boosting around 3500 and hit full boost at 4500. I am not sure how much BB would have helped but the price difference on my turbo was close to 1000$. From start of boost to full boost was very quick. I also had a split .101 AR housing.

If all you want is 700 rwhp then the 67mm should be fine but if you go that route build the exhaust set up to be able to swap out to a 76 cause you will want more.....or save the hassle and just go with the 76.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread