Single or twin turbo

Juiced90hatch

Established Member
Hey guys I have a 90 lx hatchback . The car is bone stock other than 3.73 gears . I've been wanting to purchase a turbo kit for it . I've seen the on3 turbo kits for pretty cheap but I don't know how well they work. Also I've read some decent things about those twin turbo ebay kits . I'm trying to stay under 2k for the build any input would be appreciated thanks .

DailyDriver

Established Member
your going to get a lot of different answers on the on3 turbos. you get what you pay for and if you get the ebay one you really get what you pay for. In the end you cant go turbo twin or single for 2k. Just tuning the thing will cost $500 or $600 and thats if everything goes perfect the first time.

Just a few main things youll need that dont come with the on3 kit if everything fits and works

sct chip $275
Kmember coilovers A arms $550
fuel pump $100
blow thru MAF $275
fuel injectors $350
plus tune $500

and your up too $3650 in the blink of an eye

itSSlow98

Established Member
Wow a 2k budget to turbo a stock fox? I don't even know where to start telling you how that will turn out.

Juiced90hatch

Established Member
I do understand that I have to get other parts to make it work . I was referring the 2k as in the kit itself . With the injectors , pump , regulator , chip and tune I'm sure that's already another 1000 plus the maf

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
$2k is doable for a single.. even cheaper if you want to fab stuff yourself and get creative with piecing parts together. But its kinda like porting stock E7TE heads vs aftermarket aluminum's. For just little more you can get much more potential.

Also if the engine is stock, I'd personally keep the boost down to 6-7psi (intercooled) and keep the a/f well into the 11s.

I've been modding street cars for a long time. And I've come to the conclusion (rule of thumb) that stock engines are usually good for a 35% increase in power with a good tune and premium oils. (w/o real compromise of longevity)
If a guy wants more power than that.. build the foundation first then add the power.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
iirc you dont need a Kmember and A-arms for the On3 kit.

OP, consider a stock bottom end H/C/I/E 351W swap. You can do that for around $3500 with good heads, custom cam and long tubes. The car will make around 350whp(depending on what kind of heads and cam you put on it) and then you will have your stronger motor to throw boost at later and the stock 351W is good for 550-600whp reliably when tuned properly. You also have to consider that regardless of what you do, you will NEED a clutch and the stock trans will not last long either. Just a heads up.

DailyDriver

Established Member
$2k is doable for a single.. even cheaper if you want to fab stuff yourself and get creative with piecing parts together. But its kinda like porting stock E7TE heads vs aftermarket aluminum's. For just little more you can get much more potential.

Also if the engine is stock, I'd personally keep the boost down to 6-7psi (intercooled) and keep the a/f well into the 11s.

I've been modding street cars for a long time. And I've come to the conclusion (rule of thumb) that stock engines are usually good for a 35% increase in power with a good tune and premium oils. (w/o real compromise of longevity)
If a guy wants more power than that.. build the foundation first then add the power.

Its cheaper but youll spend days bending cutting welding making changes. And i dont think everyone has a welder or pipe bender at there house which hes prob planing on doing.

cxracing.com: 79-93 Fox Body Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 Complete Turbo Manifold IC Kit, T70 T4 Turbo Blue Couplers

If you want cheap check this site out or buy the on3. but dont expect it to work right after you put it together. the people that put these kits together spend the least amount of time they can building them even when they peiced it together the first time.

get this kit if you dont want to have to run to Avd auto or home depot a few times
79-93 Mustang Single Turbo System - 350 to 850 HP

Gojira

Established Member

Huh?

To the OP (Juiced...) you can add well over 35% to that stock motor with no compromise. Stock 5.0's are rated at 225 so if you only go up 35% in power that's only adding 78hp. If you follow the above advice you'd be doing all that labor and a waste of 3k just to stay at a 78hp increase. That's insanity. What kills those stock blocks is RPM not HP. you can make 500hp with a stock block all day long if you keep the revs down at 6000. The rings will wear out as normal before you hurt the motor from too much power as long as you keep the revs down and have good A/F. A good H/C/I alone can add 120hp. People have been doing that for years to the 5.0 and it hasn't compromised longevity. If you only want 78 more Hp buy a $500 nitrous kit and be done with it. But we know you don't want to go the route. What's the point of putting on a turbo if you're only going to run enough boost to increase the power by 35%

As a note wydopnthrtl, if he adds 6-7- pounds of intercooled boost that would be around a 55% increase of power not 35%. That's over your recommendation. Or did you mean non-intercooled? 7lbs non-intercooled or 4-5lbs intercooled would be 35%. But then again why do a turbo for only 4lbs. Lol. (no flame intended by the way)

If you really want to go turbo for 2k then go for it. Yes you're going to have to do a lot of work yourself and fab stuff up but that's what this hobby is about. You can actually by a used kit for 2k and then you wont ha e to do any fab work. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just do lots of research, reading and asking questions. Put a 67mm on it with 10-12lbs of boost and have fun!

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
500hp all day long? We all wish...stock blocks like to crack in half right around that power level. Some hold, some don't. If you are at the 500hp level, your playing with fire...don't be surprised if your block bites the dust.

SM90GT

Established Member
I just recently had my On3 turbo installed. It is making 501 HP to the wheels on 10lb. All I did was the GT40p heads and intake plus all the other supporting mods it needs. My motor wont last very long with the bottom end but my other motor is almost done.:-D

Users who are viewing this thread