Single din head unit

Ryan427

Established Member
I just received a new pioneer 7 inch and was wondering if there is a way I can put it in my 00 gt? Do I have to have a whole new center concole? If somebody has a link that would be great

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
From what I've come to understand, the din sizes are universal between singles and doubles. It should fit provided you have an insert to take up the extra space.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Just buy a single DIN radio delete kit. Many of them are designed as little cubbies to hold wallets and stuff instead of just a faceplate. Of course, a face plate is a nice surface to engrave or add nitrous switches to.

Err...wait...am I understanding the question correctly. Don't the 2000 models have two separate single DIN slots? You'd still need a delete kit to remove either the separate CD or radio in that case, but now I'm wondering if you're meaning you have a double DIN 7" screen otherwise I don't know why it wouldn't be obvious it would fit.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Ryan427

Established Member
Yeah it's not like the 01-04 with the big CD player. My car had a separate radio and CD player. If it was just the big slot like my 03 it wouldn't be any big deal. It's a 7 inch touch screen. Do I need to try and find a 01-04 center console?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I was thinking 99 model year was the first year of having the factory double DIN head unit, so I was thinking 98 would have been the last of the separate DIN slots... but I'm only 50/50 on that? Either way, I'm sure there are install harnesses and trim plates out there at places like Crutchfield that make this install a breeze.

And yes, I agree the install plates with the cubby holes look much better than the solid blank pieces.

Edit: yep looks like 2001 was the first year of the double DIN, my bad.

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
So OP... is the Pioneer head unit a single DIN with a flip out 7" screen, or is it a double DIN?

If it's a double DIN, I would ASSUME you can just get the dash trim piece from an 01-04 without having to replace the whole center console?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I'm assuming he has the big Dual DIN 7" screen. If that's the case, I think the best bet is just getting a hold of a separate dash center console. That said, having owned both a 2000 and 2001 Mustang, there are more differences to the dash than just the radio layouts going from two single DINs to a double DIN.

A.) On the 2000 the rear defroster switch is to the left of the dash cluster. On the 2001-2004 its moved to below the double DIN radio.

B.) On the 2000, the traction control button was next to lighter forward of the shifter if I recall correctly. This button is moved to below radio on 2001.

C.) On 2000 models, the fog lamp switch is next to cup holders, I think, and again this switch was moved to under the double DIN radio on 2001.

I think you can buy face plates for the 3 buttons below the radio mentioned above, but its something to be aware of.

Last edited:

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I think I read somewhere that the 01-04s are a direct fit to the 99-00 with the exception of a couple plastic tabs you might have to trim off with a knife. Not sure where those tabs are, but be prepared just in case its true.

Users who are viewing this thread