Sincere opinions and experience needed ......

stangbear427

Established Member
For me, it is a combination of the two. Driving a car that is docile, manageable, reliable, and easy to live with on a daily basis includes my daily driver Nissan. While it is streetable, to me, that is not something that is really fun to just take out for cruising.

I merely want to make my Mustang a high powered car which has a manageable and reliable drivetrain that brings me great enjoyment when driving.

Then you want streetability AND fun. You can have them both in the same car, but one does not imply the presence of the other.

johnh

Established Member
If your grandmother wouldn't want to drive it, it isn't very streetable- simple as that.

Thanks for the magazine definition of streetable. When my grandmother can squeeze into my car through the cage I'll agree with you. Again we are talking about weekend cars with 500 plus hp. It's all about driving manners and driving enjoyment. I still have (2) turbo cars for the power but would rather build a blower car for the street.

I merely want to make my Mustang a high powered car which has a manageable and reliable drivetrain that brings me great enjoyment when driving.

Point proven in perspective.

stangbear427

Established Member
The magazine definition IS the definition. If you aren't talking about that, you aren't talking about streetability. This is very simple, I don't see what your hangup is. You can't just go arbitrarily making up new definitions for a word just because you like to use it out of context.

vemom93

The magazine definition IS the definition. If you aren't talking about that, you aren't talking about streetability. This is very simple, I don't see what your hangup is. You can't just go arbitrarily making up new definitions for a word just because you like to use it out of context.

what!!!! who is to stop him... If streetable was a definition, there would be definite premises it would have to meet and physical capabilities it must achieve. Sorry the term streetability is very much an opinionated definition. His grandma could be an ex f1 driver for all you know, and doesnt like it unless it has paddle shifters, and a 18k redline.

Last edited by a moderator:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Then you want streetability AND fun. You can have them both in the same car, but one does not imply the presence of the other.

I'm confused. Why would anyone build up a Mustang if it wasn't fun? If I didn't have fun in my car then I would have saved many thousands of dollars many years ago.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Cheap, Reliable, Fast....pick the important 2 because you won't get the 3rd.

Although, I've sorta found a way around this famous saying, but its not mustang related. :)

stangbear427

Established Member
This is ridiculous. I shouldn't feel like I'm trying to explain rocket science to first graders here. EVERY time a magazine journalist, or an engine builder, or a tuner, etc. says something like "it's got XXX fully streetable horsepower" or this is a "streetable combination" what they are telling you is that it idles well, starts and runs smoothly and reliably, and anyone can manage it. Obviously, the more power you can keep streetable the more fun having it will be, but that has nothing to do with it.

johnh

Established Member
This is ridiculous. I shouldn't feel like I'm trying to explain rocket science to first graders here. EVERY time a magazine journalist, or an engine builder, or a tuner, etc. says something like "it's got XXX fully streetable horsepower" or this is a "streetable combination" what they are telling you is that it idles well, starts and runs smoothly and reliably, and anyone can manage it. Obviously, the more power you can keep streetable the more fun having it will be, but that has nothing to do with it.

I don't remember asking you to explain anything. I'll just withdraw my statement about "streetability" and replace it with "fun factor".

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
So thanks to everyone for the advice - certainly wasn't trying to start WW III. I'm definitely leaning towards a turbo. Now the question is which one ?? :??:

I like the HP but it looks like I have to ditch the charcoal canister to run it. The hellion seems to be more up my alley since I need to remain emissions legal in PA.

johnh

Established Member
I'm confused. Why would anyone build up a Mustang if it wasn't fun? If I didn't have fun in my car then I would have saved many thousands of dollars many years ago.

Something to add if your considering a turbo. If you hang around turbomustangs.com you'll notice alot of hard core race parts and that's because they need it. The torque just destroys parts and you'll find yourself driving an automatic or a metallic clutch and a notchey trans. Not to mention the rear suspension bushings that get ripped out when you launch off the two step. When you ask for 550hp from a turbo car you will most likely have 600 plus ft lbs. Just a thought but if you haven't tried it give it a whirl.

johnh

Established Member
So thanks to everyone for the advice - certainly wasn't trying to start WW III. I'm definitely leaning towards a turbo. Now the question is which one ?? :??:

I like the HP but it looks like I have to ditch the charcoal canister to run it. The hellion seems to be more up my alley since I need to remain emissions legal in PA.

If you have to stay emission legal that throws out www.ponydown.net and www.bgturbokits.com

Both places sell cheap kits but you need to remove the smog pump.

BTW you can move the charcoal canister inside the fender well if need be.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
emissions legal? I don't think you're allowed to even change the h-pipe with emissions tesings, thus the only true smog legal kit, complete with carb number would be an incon kit.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
tunedin302, If it makes you feel any better, I installed my HP turbo kit without any insturctions or anything. it was easy as hell to install. I mean the shit only fits on there one way ya know :) It was a little more work like i said with the exhuast and stuff, but it was basically more time consuming, not more difficult. Don't be affraid to try something new.. especially when you have the internet at your figertips with a crap load of people who can help.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member

smog pump has to be removed for the HP kit as well.

stangbear427

Established Member
I don't remember asking you to explain anything. I'll just withdraw my statement about "streetability" and replace it with "fun factor".

See how easy that was?

But on topic: I've removed both the smog pump and charcoal canister from every Mustang I've owned, and still flown through emissions with flying colors. That being said, I'm not familiar with other states emissions rules. CT only has tailpipe tests, no visual check so if the visual is what you guys are referring to, forget I said anything. Otherwise, they aren't doing much to help your actual emissions. I'd think that as long as you have good cats you'd be fine with pretty much any kit if it was running well?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
For me, I qualify for the "less than 5000 mile exemption" which means they don't do the sniffer but will do a visual inspection. So I could hollow the smog pump and no one would know but it does have to stay in place for the visual. All exhaust can be changed, like I did, but still have to high cats (I run the bassani high flow x). I think the hellion keeps the smog equipment in place. I'll have to check into it. Thanks again for all the help.

racerbox77

Established Member
You can't get "collector plates" in PA? We can in Ohio which means NO EMISSIONS EVER!! Thank god. One of the many reasons I bought a "true Cobra".

As far as your choice of boost... Is your wallet big enough right now for a turbo? If so then get one.
Good luck with either. If your looking for a great engine builder with 35 yrs of experience contact

www.boxperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread