simple wood working question

PureStang

Established Member
I have just finished painting my room (first of my many painting projects going on in the house) and i was tossing the idea of putting up crown molding. My issue is that the roof of my house comes down "into" the house, making part of my room have slants (i dont know what the correct term for that is).

Here is a picture of the ceiling:
IMAG0098-1.jpg

how do i crown mold that? do i just stop it at the corner of the angle? or is there a way to transition this?

thanks for the help! :pepper:

P.S. ignore the small TV. My 42" that goes into the cabinet is still in the box. Just needed something small to keep me occupied while doing projects. lol

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
That's a tricky cut. You'll need a table saw and a compound miter saw for sure. You'll need an adjustable protractor to obtain the angles to set up the saws.

Last edited:

PureStang

Established Member
That's a tricky cut. You'll need a table saw and a compound miter saw for sure.

getting tools isnt a problem. I have access to quite a bit of tools between my grandparents and my uncles. Im just wondering if a) its possible to do and how, b) if it will look good (or if i should just mold to the slope, and continue along the back wall).

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
It is a pain, but looks cool when done. Is there a mldg store near you or just the big box stores? I thought they made a CM that had different angles on the back side. Good luck.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
That's a tricky cut. Personally, I would just run the Crown everywhere but that piece of the wall. On the back wall just cut the end piece to the angle of the wall and end it. On the piece of the wall that is small just place a cap piece against the open end. Only other option I can see would require a additional trim pieces on the top and bottom of the crown, basically bring the crown further off the slanted wall. Build out the slanted wall a bit by adding trim pieces to get you the 90 degree mounting points for the crown.

Hard to explain.

BlkY2k

Established Member
I think you guys are over thinking this. It looks to me that the angle is close to a 45. Crown molding comes in 3 different spring angles, thats the angle it comes out from the wall. If its a 45 you can just treat it like a square corner, the crown will just lay flat on the angle. Heres a link to explain spring angles and how to cut crown. G/L
Cut-N-Crown - Easy As 1, 2, 3!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
With enough practice and precise cuts you could make that look pretty badass.

or you could just terminate the moulding at each face and not **** with it.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Buy some extra molding that's for sure. If you get it right on the first try I'll buy the first round.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread