SilverState Classic or Sandhills open road challenge

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
Just wondering how many people have run the Silver State Classic in Nevada or the Sandhills Open Road challenge in Nebraska. What additional equipment that might be needed and equipment longevity. I see a lot of people setting up for 1/4 mile racing but little on the open road racing. These are longer courses so the potential 200 mph might be able to be reached but are they too long to where you might run out of fuel if you run full out.

mustang addict

Established Member
I do the big bend open road race and the Sandhills open road challenge.

Unless the car is a full spec race car with an elaborate cage you won't be able to go 200 in either. Plus you'll have to have run in the events before.

Just get on their web sites and search the rules.

PS its the most fun you can have driving a car!

haskett

Established Member
I do both the BBORR and the SORC every year. You can search on my id for a variety of posts on the events. I've never done the SSC, mainly because of the distance from Houston and also because it's a pretty boring course.

I HIGHLY recommend these events. Get some seat time at Closed course DE events to learn your limits and your car's limits while also getting instruction on how to drive properly.

As a rookie, you'll be limited in the class you can run your first year. The stats show that regardless of previous experience, ORR rookies are exceptionally prone to crashes, which is why the limits are so strict.

Review the rules for the safety equipment specifics, but you'll need 5-point harnesses, fire extinguisher, and harness bar. I recommend skipping the harness bar and just getting the roll bar with diagonal brace so that you will be ready for the faster classes and also have a lot safer car.

SORC registration was 2 weeks ago, so you'll be lucky to get in for 2013. BBORR registration is at the turn of the year. Register the day it opens if you want to get in.

haskett

Established Member
You won't run out of fuel. I have to refuel between the two runs at BBORR. SORC is short enough where one tank handles both runs.

Users who are viewing this thread