Silverado base engine L O L

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
My ZR2 is in the shop getting some goodies and they gave me a Silverado LT as a loaner. It looks good enough but the base motor they put in these is a joke. Apparently it is a turbo 4 banger and feels every bit of it. I am not sure what transmission it has but it is constantly shifting and hunting for gears. #sad

Recon

Established Member
I hear that’s a common transmission characteristic on the 10 speeds; but I agree, a 4 banger in a Silverado is sad.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Even Corvairs had 6 cylinders - lol.

IMG_8172.jpeg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d rather have a 10+ year old truck without all the cylinder deactivation, emissions ****ery, ecoboom crap etc than whats on lots now.

At this rate she's gonna end up with it. $55k for a fairly base 5.3 RST is insane considering the engines like to come apart randomly.

PXL_20230811_020337628~2.jpg

PXL_20230811_020344506.jpg
PXL_20230811_020347394.jpg

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
At this rate she's gonna end up with it. $55k for a fairly base 5.3 RST is insane considering the engines like to come apart randomly.

View attachment 1806024
View attachment 1806025View attachment 1806026
5.3 is mostly good to go, just shitty dod oil pump, lifters etc on later models…. I would do the DOD/VVT delete if it has that crap… then it will be pretty bullet proof.. BTW clean truck, cute kiddo! I wasn’t a big fan of that bodystyle when those trucks came out, but they have grown on me over the years.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I just want to know how yo make it stay on FM when you start the damn thing. Mine switches to bluetooth at startup everytime.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Police Silverado's and Tahoe's all come without Start/Stop and without DOD. They also do not have the annoying "Buckle to shift from Park" feature or the "Check back Seat" notice when shutting off the vehicle and opening the Drivers door.
Get a used one of those if it is not beat to shit by the time it comes up for sale.
They also don't come with a Turbo 4

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Chevy can't sell those 2.7L 4 bangers.
Seems like for over a year they've been giving out special incentives via money back or very low APR loans* for people to take them off the lot.

Which is funny, as while the 2.7L V6 from Ford probably isn't their top seller, seems like they've never had an issue moving those units.

The 2.7L is paired to their god awful 8 speed.

*Through Chevy credit

With all the EPA/economy shit on 1500's IMO the way to go is a gasser Superduty or HD truck.
No (diesel)emissions, no cylinder deactivation, no start stop bs.
Ford's 6.2L wasn't anything to go crazy over, but god those engines are damn near old diesels in terms of hitting 300+k miles and not breaking a sweat.

Hopefully the 7.3L is the same way.

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
Chevy can't sell those 2.7L 4 bangers.
Seems like for over a year they've been giving out special incentives via money back or very low APR loans* for people to take them off the lot.

Which is funny, as while the 2.7L V6 from Ford probably isn't their top seller, seems like they've never had an issue moving those units.

The 2.7L is paired to their god awful 8 speed.

*Through Chevy credit

With all the EPA/economy shit on 1500's IMO the way to go is a gasser Superduty or HD truck.
No (diesel)emissions, no cylinder deactivation, no start stop bs.
Ford's 6.2L wasn't anything to go crazy over, but god those engines are damn near old diesels in terms of hitting 300+k miles and not breaking a sweat.

Hopefully the 7.3L is the same way.

The price difference from a gas 2500 to a 1500 isn't huge either.

bullitt2735

Established Member
The Police Silverado's and Tahoe's all come without Start/Stop and without DOD. They also do not have the annoying "Buckle to shift from Park" feature or the "Check back Seat" notice when shutting off the vehicle and opening the Drivers door.
Get a used one of those if it is not beat to shit by the time it comes up for sale.
They also don't come with a Turbo 4
It takes 30 seconds to turn it off permanently in the the the menu. (The check back seat and buckle) Drove me crazy when I first got my truck. The turbo 4 sucks but I’ve loved the baby duramax in mine so far.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
The price difference from a gas 2500 to a 1500 isn't huge either.

Truth.

Going Trail Bitch to 2500 was pretty much an even trade for me. The TB had all the bells and whistles and my 2500 is pretty base but I didn’t need nor want all the nanny shit in my truck anyway.

Recon

Established Member
^ thank god they changed the front end. The one before yours wasn’t a looker in the slightest.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Users who are viewing this thread