signs of a bad water pump?

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
This weekend with all the flash flooding I was forced to drive through some deep puddles and washes (water muddy water splashed under the hood, didnt ever go deeper then the bottom of the bumper) followed by a 6 hour trip...

towards the end of the drive, the truck started making a noise similar to what a PS pump will make when you turn the wheel full lock. Just a hair louder.

It does it all the time (didnt get worse or better)... the sound increases with RPM.

I used a stethoscope at all the pulleys and cant seem to locate anything that sounds out of place... Water pump is the only thing I can think of...

Im somewhat ruling out the s/c because I can hear it as a separate sound.

also the sound continues no matter what gear the trans is in.

I've never had a water pump go out... do they typically make a sound when going bad? same with the alt... I've never had one make any noise.

Im super strapped for time. Its currently my only drivable vehicle. Any ideals????

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Sounds more like a bad idler pulley. I have never herd a warter pump make noise. they usually just start leaking out the bearing hole.

Robert Francis

Established Member
I've also never had a water pump make any bad sounds when they go bad. In experiences they start leaking water.

But I've had bad idlers and bad belts start squeeling - and they usually won't stop until repaired and/or replaced.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
hmmm... welll I think its the original accessory belt. and I've been replacing the pulleys here and there... guess it wouldn't be a horrible Ideal to replace a couple more.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
Have you considered trying to clean the belts and pulleys with degreaser and a graden hose???

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
The bearing in your WP is very stout as compaired to pumps of the past. That being said.. the bearing could go dry of grease and start to make a noise.

Have you verified its not the blowers rotors hitting the housing?

Take the blower belt off and start the engine to verify.

If it's still making noise, take the other belt off (not easy if you have a caged lower) and do the same. This will narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Rich

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
The bearing in your WP is very stout as compaired to pumps of the past. That being said.. the bearing could go dry of grease and start to make a noise.

Have you verified its not the blowers rotors hitting the housing?

Take the blower belt off and start the engine to verify.

If it's still making noise, take the other belt off (not easy if you have a caged lower) and do the same. This will narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Rich

Thank you for the info on the WP that is a little reassuring.

I've taken a stethoscope to the blower and I dont hear any noise... I would assume the rotors hitting would be a pretty nasty sound with the stethoscope?

I have some free time Sunday... I plan to take the blower belt off sunday... I do have a caged pulley... and have been putting off replacing the ass. belt for a year because of this...

Is it safe to start the engine with that belt removed?

Users who are viewing this thread