Signed up for first road course event

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I signed up a few weeks ago for my first road course event. It's coming up in about two weeks and wanted to get everyone's input on what to do to prep car.

I've got new brake oil coming from Revan racing. Ordered 2 bottles of torco just to have as added insurance. I was going to bring car in and have them change fuel filter as well.

Anything else you guys can think of?
Also anything I need to bring to event? (tools, safety equipment, etc)

Thanks

Kevin P

Established Member
Well, if you are a first-timer, you might not need much, because you will be going slower than you expect.. However, track events are addictive, so:

Eventually, you are going to want, at least:

Cooling:
Better heat exchanger
Better radiator
170 degree thermostat

Braking:
Stainless lines, particularly for the front
Upgraded brake pads (Hawk HPS or Hawk Blue if you are really serious, or something similar)

Tires:
At some point, if you continue to track the car, I would suggest a set of 18x9.5 inch wheels with some sort of track-oriented tires. The commonly available 18" GT500 wheels are cheap and reasonably light. There are a multitude of tire choices, I hear good things about the Nitto NT01s. Toyo Proxes RA1s are good too, last a long while.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I've got some of the cooling down. (heat exchanger and 170 thermostat)

I've got 3 options for wheels. Stock rims and tires. Stock front tires with drag radials out back. Or aloca's with with 325 dunlops out back.

Which option is going to get best? I was just going to stick with alcoa's since doubt will be going all that first since first time and trainer will be in car with me.

Anything else I need to bring?

Kevin P

Established Member
You'll need a helmet, see your event for exactly what is required. Motorcycle helmets generally don't cut it. You will almost certainly be required to wear long pants too.

I would go with the stock rims and tires. Whatever tires you use, the fronts are going to get beat up, so plan accordingly.

air pressure gauge

Users who are viewing this thread