Sigma 10-20 vs. Tokina 12-24 (Canon)

Predatorbird

Established Member
I'm searching for a new lens and I want a wide angle next. I don't shoot enough to spend the money on the Canon lens, so I'm looking to go third party. I've been reading tons of reviews and the Tokina is built a lot better, but I like that the Sigma can go a little wider. Both are around the same price new. Which is the better lens to buy?

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I have the Sigma, and I like it a lot. I have shot with the Tokina too, and its just as good. I know that doesnt help, but I dont think you'll be disappointed with either.

Planter

Banned
Sigma is going to be better quality, but unless you're shooting on full frame, you're not going to get a true 10-20...on a crop frame you will have the 1.6 multiplication factor, so you're actually getting a 16-32mm, but it'll still make for some good wide angle shots.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I have the Sigma, and I like it a lot. I have shot with the Tokina too, and its just as good. I know that doesnt help, but I dont think you'll be disappointed with either.

Do you have a link to any pics you've taken with this lens?

Any other opinions on these two?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Never had any experience with a Tokina, but I'm not super impressed with the Sigma lens I have; its a 50mm, and it's slow and noisy. That could just be that size though.

I was going to say just wait and save up for the Canon 10-22, but crap it got expensive! It's gone up over $150 from when I bought it...:eek:

98slowbra

Established Member
I have tried the Tokina 16-50 and did not like it at all, I returned it for a sigma 24-70 pro lens and have been very happy with sigma. If it were me I would choose the sigma lens. The 24-70 is very quiet and works very nice here is a link to the lens I got [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-24-70mm-2-8-Standard-Canon/dp/B001NEK2Q4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298925317&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF Standard Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Pretty sure this is from my Sigma 10-20 taken by a friend with his Rebel XT:

2.jpg

Planter

Banned
Pretty sure this is from my Sigma 10-20 taken by a friend with his Rebel XT:

2.jpg

taken at 18mm. shame he doesn't know how to properly utilitize the lens to show off it's superb capabalities. pretty boring shot.

with the wide angle you can get right up on a car and still fit it in to the picture.

mdmp_0704_01_z+2003_ford_mustang_cobra+front_angle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread