Sidewall flex...look inside

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
I know this isn't Fox specific but I had this situation: I run a 275x40 on an 8" wheel (in the rear) as a lot of us do. I hadn't had any probs with significant sidewall flex with Kumhos, Goodyear F1's and a couple other tires I've run. I bought a pair of Falken Ziex (just for grins) in the 275 variety and almost KILLED myself on the way to work, due to major rolling inside the tire. Decided that this wasn't good, so I had the folks at Discount order me a pair of the Ziex's in the 255 width (40 series). This time I almost killed myself but not quite so abruptly. I checked to see if something failed on the car coincidentally when I did my tire swap--of course nothing was wrong. So I swapped my fronts, which happen to be 245.40's and guess what? Not only did I not have the walking-in-the-park effect, but with the 255's up front, there was no noticeable walking on the front end. I had run the Ziex's about 10 years ago with the same problem on my previous GT (soft sidewall), obviously forgetting the inconvenience of swapping tires a number of times to get something that works. I have decided to get a different tire altogether, in a 255 (going to a 255 all the way around is a direction I have been trying to go for years but I really like the 'meat' effect out back). I should have stayed with the tires that I have used in the past. Anyone have any walking sidewall stories, or any explanation as to why the soft sidewall exhibits this particular effect only on the back of my car? Thanks Fellas.

Last edited:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Initially I ran 39#. After my initial foray, I increased to 45# with no improvement in stiffness. The Azenis' offer a stiffer sidewall; a friend of mine runs them in the275x35x19 on his RX-8. I do understand that it is a shorter sidewall, but it is also a different tire by Falken.

Users who are viewing this thread