Shuts off?

03CobraDude

Well, my car seems to have a shut off problem. I can go through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd no problem. I get through 4th gear, and just take teh car out of gear, because we all know 5th is like a brick wall. However, as the engines RPMs decrease, they never want to stop slowing down.

Bottom line, the Mach shuts off after doing a 4th gear pull and letting the engine slow down. This seems kind of hazardous to me, mainly because of the locking steering wheel...

Any ideas on why the car shuts off? And how to remedy this?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yes.....don't do it.

It's a known issue that when you do gear pulls then throw it into neutral that will happen. It's discussed on the registry a few times. Simply don't put it into neutral and let the car slow down normally in gear like it's designed too. :beer:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Are you running a K&N. If so the MAF may have gotten soaked by oil after your last change. Pull the MAF and clean with some electric cleaner.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Are you running a K&N. If so the MAF may have gotten soaked by oil after your last change. Pull the MAF and clean with some electric cleaner.

That is something to look at, but IIRC, ops mach is stock, and it does it after a hard pull and not in every gear. A dirty maf will basically not keep idle and die. (usually).

I'd definitely double check it though OP since it's simple, if you have one. Any mods to her yet?

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
That is something to look at, but IIRC, ops mach is stock, and it does it after a hard pull and not in every gear. A dirty maf will basically not keep idle and die. (usually).

I'd definitely double check it though OP since it's simple, if you have one. Any mods to her yet?

Also, if you have modded with a CAI or MAF, be sure to attempt to 'clock the maf' the sensor should be in the 11 o'clock position or near that.

BTW why would your steering wheel lock? You should have the key in the ON position, so it shouldn't lock.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Thanks for the help, I'll check out the MAF... but no, I don't have any mods done to her yet other than a clutch and flywheel. Other than that, she's stock.

If she's all stock: I hate to say it, btu I think it's jsut your driving style. doing a hard pull then putting it nuetral right away will result in what you are describing. In lamens terms, the motor can't take the 'load change' like that and it shuts off.

Next time you're out driving, do a 4th gear pull, but leave it in gear with you let off and slow down. Getting that rpms down in gear is what you want to do. This assuming you dont' have a dirty MAF. (pick up a can of MAF cleaner at your local parts store).

buckinwild

Established Member
BTW why would your steering wheel lock? You should have the key in the ON position, so it shouldn't lock.

It shouldn't be locking but you will lose power steering for sure. You should be fine if you will slow down with the car left in gear at least to a lower speed, but if you happen to find yourself in a situation where it cut's off again and you've got some speed going I've found that my car will restart by putting it back in gear and letting the clutch out, I usually go with 3rd or 4th so its not too bad of a jolt but that would vary with speed.

EVO-lution

Established Member
hmmmm mine never does that after a hard pull:shrug: and sometimes I put it in nuetral. Although after a hard pull i put it into 5th sometimes and let it ride out like that.

KingMB

The Yella Fella
Established Member
Yes.....don't do it.

It's a known issue that when you do gear pulls then throw it into neutral that will happen. It's discussed on the registry a few times. Simply don't put it into neutral and let the car slow down normally in gear like it's designed too. :beer:

Yes ^^

I had this problem when I was new to my Mach. It's just a problem with your driving style. It's actually healthier for your car to leave it in gear when you slow down...that way when the car slows down, as does your engine. When you are doing a pull and then toss it into neutral your computers ecu gets fussy and doesn't know where all of that load that was on the engine a minute ago went, so it keeps going lower until it finds something...then it dies. But yes, if this ever happens just pop the clutch and she'll fire right back up. If it dies when you're slowing down with the vehicle in gear you have bigger issues, and if it is in gear you'll notice that when it dies. lol. A recurring problem with basic Mach 1 idles is excessive carbon in your IAC. So it's probably best to clean that every once in awhile too. I hope this helped.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
It happens to my Mach sometimes, but not even when im ripping the gears. Like if im cruisin at 70 in 5th, and let it into neutral (stock gears so around 2k rpm) it will turn off.. I do have a jlt, and the screen is not in, some people say its the screen. But i just turn the ignition to off and back to start and it turns right over (while in neutral)

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
It happens to my Mach sometimes, but not even when im ripping the gears. Like if im cruisin at 70 in 5th, and let it into neutral (stock gears so around 2k rpm) it will turn off.. I do have a jlt, and the screen is not in, some people say its the screen. But i just turn the ignition to off and back to start and it turns right over (while in neutral)

Put the screen back in adn see if that helps. If not, it could still be the 'tossin' it in neutral.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I'll check that out next time im near my stock intake system on the shelf. But didnt used to do that earlier when i had the same work done.. Started about 7 months ago, the intake manifold spacer was put on about 1month ago. So its something semi new. But has only happened 3 times.

Users who are viewing this thread