Show me your aftermarket PS Tanks (07-10 guys)

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
I need to order a PS tank for my build. C&R seems like a popular one, but the pics look like it's fatter/shorter than the stock tank, but I could be wrong. Would like to see some installed pics, most threads from searching are just the tank sitting on a bench in classified threads.

Also other options for tanks that use an OEM cap? I had a moroso tank on my old setup but it doesn't use the OEM cap, and I want the OEM cap since I had a custom billet one made. I also want an aluminum tank not a factory plastic, because I need to add in a second return port for my hydroboost conversion and I want to have AN bungs welded on since all my PS lines & hydroboost lines are 6AN PTFE hoses.

Pic of what it's going in.....4.9L KB GT500 top end setup on a fully built GT supercar bottom end, darton wet sleeved 5.8L big bore, stuffed in a 2000 Harley truck.

GT265.jpg
GT254.jpg
GT336.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
HOly Hell that's a lot of pulleys... I never realized :)

Engine looks outstanding.

That was the first thing came to my mind, too. LOL No wonder I didn't enjoy installing my BPS pulley kit. Imagine changing all that with the engine still in the car. Not fun.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
What water pump and water pump pulley is that? It doesn't look right for a GT500.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
When I get home from work I can take pictures of the oem plastic and the C&R side-by-side for a comparo, both out of the car..............and yes, it is too bad that the nice square MOROSO P/S reservoir does not accept the oem cap, I like the look of that reservoir also.

Give me about 3 hours.......

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yes shorter...........

001.jpg

I will also mention that C&R Racing has changed the finish on their reservoirs, originally they were Black Anodized and now they are Black Sandcast Powder Coat........C&R still has some reservoirs in the original Black Anodized, but you have to call and ask if they have what you are looking for and Black PC is all that is listed on their site.

005.jpg

A better finish comparison.........

007.jpg

If you see pictures of these tanks or find someone selling used, the Black Anodized will have Black cap threads and the Black PC will be Natural Aluminum........

009.jpg

I like the lower P/S reservoir because it blends in with the level of the other caps and reservoirs and does not stand up an say "Look at Me!!!" when the hood is open........

010.jpg

R

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
HOly Hell that's a lot of pulleys... I never realized :)

Engine looks outstanding.

haha yeah and they're pretty much all stock as far as location/quantity, not really any added ones. It does have a flipped alt setup, and almost all BPS pullies, but yeah these 4v sure do have a lot of pullies lol. I'm already planning my next "update" to the truck to clean things up more. If I go Meziere WP & Volvo electric PSP, I can ditch the accessory drive belt entirely, as well as that tensioner, those idlers, and I can get another timing cover and have those boss's and holes all shaved smooth. That'll be for down the road though!

This pic really shows off the pulley-crazy 4v.....but those BPS lightweight/ceramic bearing idlers sure are nice!

GT256.jpg

What water pump and water pump pulley is that? It doesn't look right for a GT500.

Ah keen eye! So I have a bit of a special setup there. I'll try to get a better pic of it tonight. Long story short, I didn't want to use a 4v WP because the GT500 WP has the coolant return in the pump housing, and I wanted my return in the factory HD/L location on the side of the block. I also couldn't find a Meziere that would work with running the PS pump (there may be one, but I couldn't get clear info from folks running the meziere on clearances, since there's several mod motor meziere pumps).

What I did was get a navi PS pump (common mod on the L/HD platform, since it's a nice light aluminum pump w/ the better impellar design), but the navi pump the pulley puts the belt on the inner/engine side (like N/A 4v or S/C 2v setups), so I ditched the pulley, and had a billet pulley machined with a custom offset to push it back out in the outer/accessory belt location. JCC made it for me and he can do others, if folks want to ditch the factory GT500 pump but not go Meziere. I had him also make it similar to the BPS idler designs so it matches the overall theme.

When I get home from work I can take pictures of the oem plastic and the C&R side-by-side for a comparo, both out of the car..............and yes, it is too bad that the nice square MOROSO P/S reservoir does not accept the oem cap, I like the look of that reservoir also.

Give me about 3 hours.......

R

I appreciate the pics! So it's shorter but looks a little fatter, so is the volume about the same would you estimate?

Yes shorter...........

I like the lower P/S reservoir because it blends in with the level of the other caps and reservoirs and does not stand up an say "Look at Me!!!" when the hood is open........

R

Good info on the finish. I'm going to try and get a bare one though since I need welding done on it to swap to AN and add a 2nd return port for my hydroboost, and get it PC'ed afterwards.

So the factory res sits higher and the C&R sits lower, but uses the same mount? That's good info as well and may sell me over on the C&R. I def don't want it sticking up high, esp since I had a custom valve cover plaque made and don't want the PS tank sticking up blocking it.

GT316.jpg

Any other options out there besides C&R and Moroso? Moroso is def out because the cap (I have that one right now actually from my 2v setup). C&R is winning me over, but before I get one, just one last call for other options.

GT313.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...but those BPS lightweight/ceramic bearing idlers sure are nice!

That they are. Just make sure you installed them with the retainer clip facing outward. Apparently they are directional. I installed mine "backward" and one of the bearings went bad and made horrendous noise. I was embarrassed to drive my car. I turned all the pulleys around and replaced the bad bearing, and it's quiet again.

If you're looking for a Mezeire pump, I have one in the For Sale section. Never been used or installed.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I appreciate the pics! So it's shorter but looks a little fatter, so is the volume about the same would you estimate?

Good info on the finish. I'm going to try and get a bare one though since I need welding done on it to swap to AN and add a 2nd return port for my hydroboost, and get it PC'ed afterwards.

So the factory res sits higher and the C&R sits lower, but uses the same mount? That's good info as well and may sell me over on the C&R. I def don't want it sticking up high, esp since I had a custom valve cover plaque made and don't want the PS tank sticking up blocking it.

View attachment 1524672

Any other options out there besides C&R and Moroso? Moroso is def out because the cap (I have that one right now actually from my 2v setup). C&R is winning me over, but before I get one, just one last call for other options.

View attachment 1524676

I had not noticed the fatter diameter, but it does appear to be. I believe the fluid amount is similar.

Yes, it mounts in the oem location.

They do have the bare aluminum version also, shown below.......

009.jpg

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
OP - I looked through the pictures that I took when I was installing the 2013/14 I/C pump on my 2008 and found these two, the first showing the P/S reservoir bracket that you will need, and the second is a side view of the C&R P/S reservoir mounted in that bracket........

009-2.jpg

013.jpg

^^^^^When I was "attempting" to do the 2013/14 I/C pump install, the first thing to verify was "if" it was going to fit in the area below the P/S reservoir, if not, there was no reason to move forward with that I/C pump upgrade in the oem 2013/14 location on my 2008..........but it actually fit quite nicely.

R

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
I do have that bracket, and the OEM hose from the pump to the tank. My old 2v setup I had relocated to the side, but I like how clean/short the supply hose is from the tank to the pump on the OEM setup. I guess I'll just order the bare C&R tank.

That they are. Just make sure you installed them with the retainer clip facing outward. Apparently they are directional. I installed mine "backward" and one of the bearings went bad and made horrendous noise. I was embarrassed to drive my car. I turned all the pulleys around and replaced the bad bearing, and it's quiet again.

If you're looking for a Mezeire pump, I have one in the For Sale section. Never been used or installed.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're all facing the correct direction, but I'll double check now that you mention it!

For the meziere pump, I'd need more details. They have multiple versions that fit the mod motor, and different clearances on each one.

Users who are viewing this thread