Should my '03 clutch be shot at 28,000????

donaisenbrey

Established Member
No burn outs...no drag racing.......28,000 seems like a short clutch life. Any inputs???..............Don

BTW: Don't clutches give a warning before they wear out?? Like slipping or something???

03GREYCOBRA

Established Member
I only got 34k out of my 02 GT clutch. what really sucks is I traded it in a week after I replaced it. Oh well, moved on to bigger and better things.

JaKaL

Established Member
28k is plausible with as much power as these beasts come with. I’d say burning up a clutch without even knowing it is well within the realm of possibility. Unpleasant, but possible.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
My stock one died at 14k with only 5 runs on it at the track. Car was still stock too.

fubu795

Banned
Different strokes for different folks, each and every car is going to be different I guess. I have 11k on mine, about 20 hard track runs and the rest of it is all hard driving!

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
I have about 4,000 miles on mine...about 100+ passes down the quarter mile and it seems to be slipping a tad sometimes. After this season it will be time for a new clutch.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I'd say almost 30K mikes on the stock clutch is pretty good. I've never made it that far with any car.
I'm at 18K and clutch number 3 is going in next week. :bash:

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
I'd say almost 30K mikes on the stock clutch is pretty good. I've never made it that far with any car.
I'm at 18K and clutch number 3 is going in next week. :bash:

:eek: Holy crap dude! somthing ain't right with that.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Justicem
:eek: Holy crap dude! somthing ain't right with that.

Dude? :p

I get the feeling these stock clutches, in general, won't be long lived. First car I've ever had that you can smell it cooking from just a hard shift or two, without even any launch style slipping of it.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
If none of you have a FIREWALL ADJUSTER and CLUTCH QUADRANT (aftermarket) this is why. The "auto adjuster" slips and burns the clutch. I would adjust my clutch and it would be fine, then after I HARD run, shifting at redline, I'd smell clutch. That's the auto-adjuster slipping - so you'd have to adjust it each time you run.

Firewall adjuster - LOCKS it, no slipping. When the clutch starts to naturally wear out, then you adjust it under the hood by turning the adjuster.

Mike

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Thanx for all the info everyone. however my real concern is:

Do I have a warrantee issue.

I understand that a worn out clutch is a wear issue and not covered under warrantee.

BUT: a broken TOB, Pressure Plate or a clutch disk shattering should be a warrantee issue........RIGHT?

.............Don

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Dude? :p
Maybe that's why? ;-)
I have the adjuster and quadrant. Stock clutch couldn't hold the power I was making. Spec 2 failed because of broken TOB retainer.

Broken TOB would get all related parts covered if your dealer is cooperative. According to a post on this board there is a "secret" TSB on it. :rollseyes
Normal clutch warranty is only till 12K.

Users who are viewing this thread