should i worry about launching hard?

racinmasonc

Established Member
i have a 2001 cobra... all factory IRS... i have 4.30's in right now and just wondering if i should still ride out my clutch and not pop it out? or can i launch hard till a certain power?? let me know what i should be concerned about!! thanks!

btw- the car is all stock besides no mufflers in the stock exhaust system

drocnranger2.3

Four Banger!!!!
Established Member
being stock w/ gears i dont know but the one time my friend tried to launch his 01 cobra he snapped his halfshaft and that was with a 4.10 gear. Just do a solid rear swap like he did :banana:

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
First thing that will go is the stock halfshafts. If you break one the 03 Cobra halfshafts are a direct bolt-in deal and they are stronger. I'd leave on it :D

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
The things don't just break because of a certain power level, they break when the car hops, launch the car all you want, however if it hops it will eventually break, the best thing would be to learn to get out of it when it hops AND carry a spare halfshaft with you and be familiar with changing one out OR carry AAA...

btw the whole just swap it out for a solid is getting old, thats not advice in these irs threads, that'd be like me recommending YOU swap in a 351W for the POS 4.6, when you're asking about 4.6 N/a performance true perhaps- but helpful NO.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
The things don't just break because of a certain power level, they break when the car hops, launch the car all you want, however if it hops it will eventually break, the best thing would be to learn to get out of it when it hops AND carry a spare halfshaft with you and be familiar with changing one out OR carry AAA...

btw the whole just swap it out for a solid is getting old, thats not advice in these irs threads, that'd be like me recommending YOU swap in a 351W for the POS 4.6, when you're asking about 4.6 N/a performance true perhaps- but helpful NO.

hahaha.

Yeah if you don't wheelhop you shouldn't break anything. SHOULDN'T is the key word.

I wouldn't go for the gold without a backup way home though.

drocnranger2.3

Four Banger!!!!
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
hahaha.

Yeah if you don't wheelhop you shouldn't break anything. SHOULDN'T is the key word.

an IRS Cobra w/o wheelhop is like bojangles without sweet tea........ haha

racinmasonc

Established Member
ok so what would stop wheel hop??? heres what i think i've read...suspension bushings, 03 cobra shocks, diff brace??? what else is there? i don't feel like going solid... people with 03-04's that are running in the 10's are still on IRS. they just have level 5 axles..

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I know a lot in the 10's with stock 03 halfshafts too.

I'd do the differential bushings, lowering springs, 03 cobra differential brace, billetflow differential cover brace, 03 shocks, and some really sticky tires. If it don't spin it can't wheel hop. :)

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
hahaha.

Agreed there's always the chance that the shaft is damaged and you don't find out until you're cruising along. Its just like anything else if you abuse it, it'll eventually fail...hence the AAA comment...

Users who are viewing this thread