Should I up the boost and get a crusher inlet? (3.4 Whipple)

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Have an 04 Cobra that I mainly use for runway events and tooling around - full interior, IRS, etc.

14645900111_069368b8d8_o_zps47262c16.jpg

10460586_10152813147582112_5417025906459041903_o_zpsc09f02e1.jpg

Mods that matter include:

302 stroker (low compression :sleeping:) w/ custom crank, billet rods, and expensive pistons stuffed into an 01 Cobra block (not Teksid :dw: (kaboom!))
Whipple 3.4 with a 3" upper pulley and a modified inlet -- approximately 27 psi of boost pressure
1 7/8 inch ARH headers w/ electric cut outs after collectors
E85

Car makes between 820-830 rwhp, and ran 166 mph in the 1/2 before the bigger headers (which picked up a few ponies).

Basically, I'm thinking about what more I could possibly do to be a little faster (of course). And, I think one option would be to purchase a Crusher inlet, up the boost (already ordered a 2.75" pulley), and maybe get a tune for E98. I'd like to see 900-950 rwhp.

Anyone have any input/advice? How much more power can I squeeze from this old motor? :read: Am I just going to blow it the F up?

Thanks!

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
is the sole purpose to run faster in the 1/2 mile events?

what is your suspension setup?
and weight reduction?

imo, 27psi is a lot for that inlet and i would go crusher asap. how has the inlet been modified?
a thump rrr tensioner will help if you make the leap to a 2.75 upper.
what cooling mods have you done?

edit,
racebronco has done some events and has amazing results by changing to his modified hood and other areo goodies. i think he was running faster than guys that had more power than him. not sure if your wanting to modify the exterior though.

Last edited:

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Would like the car to remain multi-purpose (full street manners). I guess a goal would be to run over 200 mph in the standing mile, while still being legitimately streetable (I want it to feel like a nice car)

Suspension is stock, excepting: H&R race springs, Steeda X2 ball joints, and MM caster/camber plates. Even have stock half-shafts still.

No real weight reduction other than the aluminum block. I like to keep the car as factory as possible.

The inlet was cut and re-welded for increased volume.

Unfortunately, this is the best picture I have right now:

P1000795.jpg

As far as true cooling mods, I've done a lower thermostat, the head cooling mod, and an LFP radiator. For intercooling, I have a trunk mounted ice tank, an LFP heat exchanger, and a big electric water pump.

Sounds like a crusher inlet may be a wise purchase.

stangfreak

Established Member
oh damn. I have always thought you had a crusher on your 3.4. There is a thread that was started a few days ago bout the same topic. If you got a built motor and are running more than 22lbs, the crusher on a 3.4 will help big time. It may not drive like your setup now. Not sure how "streetable" the crushers are. I know when mustang magic swapped over to the crusher inlet, they picked up a shit load of hp and tq on snake bite. That car did have a stroker stage 3 cams stage 3 heads and a full custom huge exhaust from american racing headers. From headers to catback all custom made. That little inlet was too small for that efficient setup.

Last edited:

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
What fuel are you currently running? Pretty sure with the switch to e-fuel and the crusher system alone will net you some good gains, more boost of course will only make it better.

gabe1530

Banned
couple options that keep the car streetable and will net you some weight reduction.
battery relocation and donathan racing front crash bar.
a k member setup that is strong but still nets some weight reduction: mm or steeda. even the racecraft k member with their additional ''race'' bars.
also, dont forget the most important weight reduction: rotational mass. light weight rotors from FTBR would net around a loss of 10lbs.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Nope, my car was one of the first with a 3.4 Whipple, and also one of the first to have a modified inlet. HPP Racing modified this inlet -- there was a thread about it many moons ago on ModFords -- and it's performed really well so I never really thought about switching until now.

I'm going to go find the thread you've mentioned, but it sounds like I should get a crusher inlet. As far as driveability, I'll just insist that the guys at TrueStreet Motorsports make sure that happens. :p

The car is definitely already on E85.. Was wondering if E98 would net me a little more power and a little more safety.

I've considered the K-member, but I'm terrified of more NVH. With many years of high torque, I'm already chasing down a ton of strange noises. I really like the idea of light weight rotors.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You block will be fine don't worry about that blowing up..

I would def get a crusher, and maybe do a tune on C85 or FTW E85. Might be work a couple more hp..

SVTPete83

Established Member
I have the racecraft k member and a arms with spring perches. NVH difference is negligible. I haven't really noticed a difference at all really. Car definitely went faster with the loss of weight. Block should be fine. Even at that power level the wap blocks have held up good.

GodStang

Established Member
Yes to Crusher! As long as all other restrictions in the intake system are gone.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
as far as driveability with the crusher it's nothing you should be worried about with a good tuner. We put a 3.4 crusher on a car and it drove like stock. No high idle, no idle hanging, etc etc. And my car with a mammoth inlet and huge kb dual blade tb that I self tuned has zero driveability concerns.

Since you already have the modified inlet I think the only gains are going to be from the bigger throttle body so be sure you have a large enough inlet setup. the crusher kit should come with a big tube and maf housing but I believe that is for a slot maf so consider that.

The only thing I'd be worried about with what you'll be doing is the 2.75 upper having belt slip. that's a big blower and a small pulley. Not sure if an rr and a thumprrr will be enough to handle that.

Users who are viewing this thread