should I trade my 93 for a 86 ?

EFFURJDM

Established Member
Hey guys ?

So I have a chance to trade my 93 fox hatchback for a 86 gt t top fox.
I love the 4 eyed look better . Im just wounduring if I would be down grading in anyway ?
The 5.0 engine all that diffrent besides heads and pistons ? From what I have seen in other fourms. and info would be great thank u

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
4 eyes are bad azz but 93's are the end of an era. Either way you wont get hurt as long as you are trading apples for apples. Most guys that want to trade are hiding something. LMO!

EFFURJDM

Established Member
4 eyes are bad azz but 93's are the end of an era. Either way you wont get hurt as long as you are trading apples for apples. Most guys that want to trade are hiding something. LMO!

Hum... well I hit him up and my interior is pretty clean and have some corbeau seats and such, and his is all stock . What I hear about the flat top pistons and the air density stuff makes me second guess all this. I keep reading neg stuff .

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If they are truly comparable in value, I would do it. I love the 85/86 body style, second on my list to only the new edge as far as body style.

EFFURJDM

Established Member
Are the 86 just as reliable as the 93 mustang engine wise ?
And yea I would say the value is the same for both cars.

My main concern is with the engines being a bit diffrent maybe im just over thinking the neg talk that only comes in play when modding the car and not all around Drive ability.

wheelhopper

Established Member
If both have comparable mods and comparable condition I would prefer an '86 any day. The 4 eyed fox body GTs are getting harder to come by in good condition and I personally prefer the look. The motor is just as reliable. They are speed density, as all 86-89 Mustangs where. Or maybe it they changed at '88. In any event that is easy enough to swap out and those cars still take a lot of bolt on mods just fine. It is not until you get to swapping cams, heads, etc. that you have to switch to mass air. The pistons in the '86 are flat top so there is less clearance for cam swaps or head swaps with larger valves. The pistons I believe are forged.

I still regret selling my '85 GT.

big dad

Established Member
The pistons in an 86 5 litre GT are definately forged and have no valve reliefs. However, if you know what you're doing you can get around the valve relief issues. Trick Flow makes a nice package for these motors that really wakes them up. In stock condition they really suffer breathing issues with their heads. Converting over to MAF is any easy start on the road to more future upgrades.

EFFURJDM

Established Member
If both have comparable mods and comparable condition I would prefer an '86 any day. The 4 eyed fox body GTs are getting harder to come by in good condition and I personally prefer the look. The motor is just as reliable. They are speed density, as all 86-89 Mustangs where. Or maybe it they changed at '88. In any event that is easy enough to swap out and those cars still take a lot of bolt on mods just fine. It is not until you get to swapping cams, heads, etc. that you have to switch to mass air. The pistons in the '86 are flat top so there is less clearance for cam swaps or head swaps with larger valves. The pistons I believe are forged.

The pistons in an 86 5 litre GT are definately forged and have no valve reliefs. However, if you know what you're doing you can get around the valve relief issues. Trick Flow makes a nice package for these motors that really wakes them up. In stock condition they really suffer breathing issues with their heads. Converting over to MAF is any easy start on the road to more future upgrades.

Sweet thank you so much just what I wanted to hear ! My 93 fox has been such a good car and would hate to down step. Just kept reading on fourms that thier engines were just crap all around , like pistons heads and the block . We are meeting in couple days so ill post a pic if I get it.

scottL

Established Member
They are speed density, as all 86-89 Mustangs where. Or maybe it they changed at '88. In any event that is easy enough to swap out and those cars still take a lot of bolt on mods just fine. It is not until you get to swapping cams, heads, etc. that you have to switch to mass air. The pistons in the '86 are flat top so there is less clearance for cam swaps or head swaps with larger valves. The pistons I believe are forged.

The last year of speed density was 1988 unless you purchased your fox new in California, they halted it after the '87 model year. According to this website Five.Oh : 1979-1993 Foxbody Mustang 5.0L Engine Specifications - Block castings, camshafts, cylinder heads, rotating assembly there is only a 5hp difference between the 93 & 86 model year engines, however, dudes here are claiming 15 5.0 and 5.0 HO Engine Information - Ford Mustang Forums
Sure miss my '86
image_zps39da138e.jpg

scottL

Established Member

x2

A long time ago I swapped a set of heads off a '93 Ford Lightning w/ 1.72 roller rockers on my '86 & bumped the compression up to 11:1. No clearance issues whatsoever.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
The last year of speed density was 1988 unless you purchased your fox new in California, they halted it after the '87 model year. According to this website Five.Oh : 1979-1993 Foxbody Mustang 5.0L Engine Specifications - Block castings, camshafts, cylinder heads, rotating assembly there is only a 5hp difference between the 93 & 86 model year engines, however, dudes here are claiming 15 5.0 and 5.0 HO Engine Information - Ford Mustang Forums
Sure miss my '86
image_zps39da138e.jpg

NICE:beer:

V8Demon

Established Member
THe 86 will have forged flat tops and speed density as posted above. They also have the smaller 10 inch front brakes as opposed to the 11 inch front brakes which were standard on 87-93 V8 equipped cars.

Cperrigo

Established Member
Code:
If you don't trade, let me know, I want a ttop car so bad I cant see straight. :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread